Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Snowblower problem

Visiting Guest

12-26-02, 05:04 PM   #1  
alongi
Snowblower problem

I have a Sears snowblower (don't have model number off hand),
and I haven't maintained it properly this past off-season.
I left gasoline in it, I think the previous summer I did the same thing, but I added some gas stablizer. I am having problems
starting it now, it'll start but then die out quickly once I turn
the choke off. Correct me if i'm wrong but I read in a previous post that due to the gasoline being left in over the summer that I will have to have the carbureator cleaned out. Is this something I can do myself or is pretty complex? Also I am assuming this is my problem, please let me know if I am mistaken.

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

12-26-02, 06:39 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Try removing the carb bowl and bolt and spray both thoroughly with carburetor cleaner. The passageways must be free of crap or it will not run.

Failing that, time for a rebuild of the carburetor.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-26-02, 10:02 PM   #3  
Hello alongi!

Yes...you are correct. The carb needs cleaning. It is an easy job. Remove the bowl screw. There are some tiny holes in the sides of it...possibly one near the top too, and one in the center of it. Make sure they are clear. Also clean the bowl out if necessary. This is likely all you'll have to do.

Let us know how it goes!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

12-27-02, 06:42 AM   #4  
alongi
THanks for the replies Joe_F and cheese, I will buy some carb cleaner and try to open it up this weekend and clean it.
Since I have gasoline in there that is old, do I need to drain all that gas as well?

THanks for your help.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-27-02, 07:00 PM   #5  
Yes, it would be best to drain the gas and even clean the tank if it appears to have gum or debris in the bottom.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

WI

12-05-10, 03:12 PM   #6  
Draining the fuel

I was following the existing thread as we're having a similar problem with our 5hp snowthrower. I removed the carb bowl and bolt, etc. My situation is, now that I'm reattaching the carb bowl & bolt, I have a gas leak somewhere around the bowl that I can't get rid of.

Search this Thread