Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

fouling plugs

Visiting Guest

01-01-03, 12:43 PM   #1  
racer
fouling plugs

I got a old elan snowmachine gave to me for my son.I rebiult the carb and everything was working yesterday when I parked it.Today I went out to let him ride it and it fired up right away and he drove it about 50 feet and it died.I checked the plug and there was no fire so I changed it and it started for about 10 seconds and killed that plug.It is spiting fuel out the carb everytime you pull it over.It has a diaphram carb so how would you set the high and low speed jets on it?Would that be my problem?

Sponsored Links
Admin Emeritus

CAL

01-01-03, 01:44 PM   #2  
More Detailed Information Requested

Hello: racer

Would be a lot more helpful to the moderators if more detailed information was supplied. In order to better assist you with proper problem causes and solutions, kindly include more detailed info.

Engine brand, model and serial numbers would be helpful.
What was the origninal problem?
What did you do to clean the carb?
Did you install rebuild parts?
Did you have assembly instructions?
Complete details on the exact type of carb would be really beneficial too. Are there any adjustment screws? If so, how many? 1 or 2?

Kindly include more details.

Thanks,
Web Site Host and Multiple Topics Moderator.
Tom_B

Visiting Guest

01-01-03, 04:50 PM   #3  
racer
I replaced the diaphrams and needle. I cleaned it with carb cleaner and I had a repair manual for instructions on the carb.It is a single cylinder 20hp rotax engine.It has 2 setting screws on it one is high speed and one for low and it also has a screw for setting the idle speed on the throttle.Hopefully this info will give you more of a idea.

Admin Emeritus

CAL

01-01-03, 05:19 PM   #4  
Hello: Racer

Much better on the info you included but still some more may be required. You can add that info on the next reply.

After the rebuild, assuming all the diaphragms and gaskets where installed correctly, it's possible the high and low fuel screws are incorrectly set.

The question is: Did you count the number of turns inwards they where set at before removing them? Doing so would allow them to be set back to the original settings after the rebuild.

If fuel is coming out of the carb from the air intake behind the air filter, the carb is flooding. Did you also replace the seat?

When re-installing the new gaskets, they have to be located correctly between the diaphragms.

You may need to close down the fuel adjustment screws slightly. Since the low speed screw continues to supply fuel to the high speed fuel circuit, close it slightly first. Then retry running the engine and post back the results plus any other info requested.

Regards & Good Luck. Tom_B.
Web Site Host & Small Engine Forum Moderator.
"Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.
Fast...Fair...Friendly & Highly Proficient Services....

Visiting Guest

01-04-03, 03:46 PM   #5  
racer
I got it running perfect once I set the high and low speed screws.Runs great and has lots of power.

Admin Emeritus

CAL

01-04-03, 06:56 PM   #6  
Hello again racer.

Glad you got the engine running well again. Also thanks to you because you took the time to reply back with the final results and included the method used to accomplish the task.

Thanks. Other readers can learn from reading your reply back.

I guess I could now add you into the category list of:

>>>>>>>"HAPPY CAMPERS"<<<<<<<

Regards,
Tom_B

Search this Thread