snowblower carburetor adjustments

Old 01-05-03, 03:57 PM
raycook3
Visiting Guest
Angry snowblower carburetor adjustments

Hello All:
i have a craftsman 8hp tecumseh snow king. it was running rough , so i decided to play with it a little i took off the carburetor bowl and cleaned the screw and hole and bowl. then reassembled and adjusted the other screws. now i cant get it running very good at all. when i shut it down the carb backfires. i need to know the adjustment settings (eg--11/2 turn out from snug) for the bowl screw --the side idle screw--and there is a screw above the idle screw(some kind of govener i think). can someone please tell me how to set all of these adjustment screws.

snowing in canada ya know..........
thank-you

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-03, 07:22 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello and Welcome Ray Cook3 to the Do-It-Yourself Web Site and our Small Engine forum.

Start with the basic adjustments. Low {L} speed screw out 1 1/2 turns and High {H} speed screw out 2 turns from the seated position. These settings should get the engine running.

The bowl screw must be tightened in fully to create a good seal to the gasket and prevent fuel leaks.

Once the engine is running, set the idle speed using the throttle adjustment scew. Adjust the Low {L} speed screw until the engine runs well. Without black smoke coming from the exhaust or stalling. The mid point between the two settings is correct.

Adjust the High {H} speed screw so the engines runs well at high speed. Same setting as Low {L} speed. No smoke and no stalling, stumbling or bogging during accelerating or under a load.

The other resident small engine service and repair professionals may offer additional suggestions, advice & help.

Check back on your topic several times over the next several days for additional replies.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button. Using the reply button moves the topic back up to the top of the daily topic list automatically.

Regards & Good Luck. Tom_B. Web Site Host & Small Engine Forum Moderator. "Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.
Fast...Fair...Friendly & Highly Proficient Services....

Old 01-15-03, 09:52 AM
The only thing I'd add to Tom's post is to adjust the engine's high-speed setting under load. I suggest half-turn increments, usually toward richer, when the unit is being governed under heavy load. Without this final adjustment, it may not achieve highest power under load.