Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Rope Pull Starter Problem

Visiting Guest

01-09-03, 03:17 PM   #1  
meloken
Murray Walk Behind Lawn Mower

I have a Murray walk behind lawn mower that my oh so wonderful lab puppy has managed to eat the string through. I took the top off and re-threaded it through the hole on the top and then un-screwed the circle thing on the inside, but I can't figure out how to replace the string so that when I put it back together, it will pull and retract.
Could you please help me?
I've gone to the lawnmowers websites and fix it websites and either there is didley squat or I have to pay to find this out.
Melanie

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

01-09-03, 05:13 PM   #2  
Hello Meloken!

The top piece you removed should be fully assembled, but not attatched to the mower, before you start. Then, turn the spool that the rope winds up on in the direction that it would turn if you were pulling the rope. Turn it until it stops. Then unwind it 1 full turn and however much more it takes until the hole in the spool lines up with the hole in the metal top, where the rope goes through. While holding it in position, feed the rope through the metal top and into the spool. Tie a good knot in the end at the spool and let it rewind the rope itself, but don't let it wind up all the rope. Fasten the handle to the other end. You should be good to go.

I hope this is clear enough...if not, let me know.

Also, you may be able to hold the spool in position to get the rope fed in by sticking a screwdriver through it and the slotted holes in the metal top so that it doesn't unwind all of a sudden.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread