Engine Seizure Problem

Old 01-09-03, 07:07 PM
no_joy_in_NY
Visiting Guest
please help, siezed 5HP Tecumseh

I have and old (20 years?) Ariens snowthro with a 5hp Tecumseh engine that appears to be seized. I can't pull the starter. Friend used it last, dont know details leading up to seizure.

I am looking for advice and or a manual to tear the beast down for re-build.

thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-03, 08:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello!

Can you turn the shaft pulley by hand...or even move it at all? Is it out of oil? If it is locked up internally, you will have to tear into the engine. It's not hard to get into it once you get it off the machine. Remove the pulley or sprocket off of the crankshaft, remove the head, remove the engine side cover, and you're looking at the bowels of the engine. There's no telling what you may find, possibly a scored cylinder, galled rod and/or main bearings, etc...

I believe autozone sells a haynes manual that should cover your engine (small engines manual). It will give you the min and max diameters, torque specs, repair procedures, etc...

Old 01-09-03, 10:43 PM
no_joy_in_NY
Visiting Guest
pulled it apart and found the connecting rod in three pieces! parts were jammed, preventing me from turning crank.

cylinder looks good, but piston will need replacing too.

I will pick the guys brain at the parts counter when I order/pick up my parts.

thanks for your help!

Old 01-10-03, 12:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Before spending money on parts, I would check a few things:

1: Many times when an engine blows, it breaks the side of the block where the broken rod jams into it.

2: The main reason for one completely coming apart like that is running without oil. If it has been run low on oil, the crankshaft may also be ruined.

3: The crankshaft bearings in the block may well be wiped out also.

4: After 20 years of running, the cylinder may well be out of round to the point of being out of specs, as well as many other parts. They should be checked

5: A brand new 5.5 hp tecumseh snow king engine can be had for around $200.00. The prices of all the gaskets, seals, rings, piston, rod, oil, etc... will add up to nearly half that. Then, counting your labor, and the fact that you'll still have a 20 yr old engine, is it worth trying to fix it? I wouldn't unless it is a cast iron engine. Then maybe.

Old 01-10-03, 08:22 AM
no_joy_in_NY
Visiting Guest
Good advice, thanks. I don't wish to spend $100 plus my time only to have it work for 5 minutes.

Could you reccomend a supplier for the replacement engine?

Old 01-10-03, 08:52 AM
No_joy -
I noticed (on another forum) that a fella picked up a replacement engine for his 5 HP Ariens. Upon receipt he realized that the engine could not be used because it did not have the extended camshaft.

Ariens has used both types of engines in the past so a heads up might be in order.

Tom

Old 01-10-03, 06:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't know where to send you online for an engine, but you may have luck searching the small engine shops in your area.

Old 01-10-03, 06:47 PM
No_joy -

Here's a place you can try:
http://smallenginewarehouse.com/Prod...plier=Tecumseh

The new engines have a different mounting hole circle diameter. You'll have to cut off your mounting studs and install new ones at the new locations. It's not too difficult.

Hope this helps
Tom

Old 01-11-03, 07:08 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Call up Tecumseh (Lauson Power Products), give the #s off the engine you have now and ask them, "What is the correct part and model # for a replacement for it?".

With that in mind, shop around for that. Make sure to tell them it's for a snow blower and tell the same to engine supplier. In that way, you'll just R&R the engine and be on your way.

I have your same quandary with a gas edger I picked up for free from someone. I got it running, but the engine is wasted. I've had my eye on the floor display at the Sears store near me and when I can convince them to sell it to me for around 200 bucks, it comes home with me .