Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Engine Running Problem


Burnell's Avatar
Visiting Guest

Posts: n/a

01-10-03, 05:21 AM   #1  
Burnell
Kohler Engine Not running right

Got a Kohler K301a that runs fine at low speeds. But at full speed it runs for awhile and then shuts off. Have tried new points,rebuilt carb,new condenser,new coil,new spark plug and wire. ????

 
Sponsored Links
JJordan's Avatar
Visiting Guest

Posts: n/a

01-10-03, 06:26 AM   #2  
JJordan
It might be a fuel starvatoin problem, meaning that it gets sufficient fuel flow to sustain low speeds, but that in a high fuel demand situation, the flow cannot feed the carb in the proper amount. Try cleaning the gas tank and fuel lines and filters.

 
Burnell's Avatar
Visiting Guest

Posts: n/a

01-10-03, 07:33 PM   #3  
Burnell
Originally posted by JJordan
It might be a fuel starvatoin problem, meaning that it gets sufficient fuel flow to sustain low speeds, but that in a high fuel demand situation, the flow cannot feed the carb in the proper amount. Try cleaning the gas tank and fuel lines and filters.
Thanks for the reply. I've tried all that and still doesn't run right.

 
JJordan's Avatar
Visiting Guest

Posts: n/a

01-11-03, 07:57 AM   #4  
JJordan
Does it run for a long while at idle or does it also shut down after awhile? Could be a valve clearance issue as well.

 
cheese's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator

Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 16,564
GA

01-12-03, 01:08 AM   #5  
Hello Burnell!

Try running it at high speed with the gas cap loose. If that stops the problem, then you have a bad vent in the fuel cap, causing the tank to develop a suction and starving the engine of fuel.


"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

 
Burnell's Avatar
Visiting Guest

Posts: n/a

01-12-03, 05:39 AM   #6  
Burnell
Originally posted by JJordan
Does it run for a long while at idle or does it also shut down after awhile? Could be a valve clearance issue as well.
runs for a long time. Checked valves and they seem ok. Could it be a weak valve spring ???

 
Burnell's Avatar
Visiting Guest

Posts: n/a

01-12-03, 05:40 AM   #7  
Burnell
Originally posted by cheese
Hello Burnell!

Try running it at high speed with the gas cap loose. If that stops the problem, then you have a bad vent in the fuel cap, causing the tank to develop a suction and starving the engine of fuel.
Thanks but I tried that too and it still doesn't run

 
logged2u's Avatar
Visiting Guest

Posts: n/a

01-12-03, 08:09 AM   #8  
logged2u
engine running problem

I'm having the same problem with an older atc. I've cleaned the carbuerator and the fuel lines, next i'd like to clean the points but I'm not sure of their location? can you help? I also have another atc that starts and runs good but it needs a push to get it to start rolling and it doesn't go very fast.

 
JJordan's Avatar
Visiting Guest

Posts: n/a

01-12-03, 09:34 AM   #9  
JJordan
In all my experiences with Kohler K301As, I have never experienced valve float due to a weak valve spring. But seeing as you have eliminated the ignition and fuel issues, I would say that either it is a valve issue or an air issue. And I assume that you have removed the air filter and attempted to run it. These engines have an ACR (automatic compression release) mechanism that is mechanical in nature. Check to see if the ACR is not stuck open and not allowing the exahaust valve to retract at 600+ rpm as it should.

 
cheese's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator

Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 16,564
GA

01-12-03, 11:34 PM   #10  
If you haven't yet checked the valve clearances, I would check that too. The clearances are: intake- .008" to .010", exhaust- .017" to .019". These are to be set cold.

By chance, does it help any to choke the engine a bit when it begins to stall?

Did you change the condenser? A failing condenser can show problems at higher temps and rpms.

Does it start right back up when it stalls, or do you have to let it cool down?


"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

 
Burnell's Avatar
Visiting Guest

Posts: n/a

01-13-03, 03:56 AM   #11  
Burnell
Originally posted by cheese
If you haven't yet checked the valve clearances, I would check that too. The clearances are: intake- .008" to .010", exhaust- .017" to .019". These are to be set cold.

By chance, does it help any to choke the engine a bit when it begins to stall?

Did you change the condenser? A failing condenser can show problems at higher temps and rpms.

Does it start right back up when it stalls, or do you have to let it cool down?
Condenser was changed and it starts right back up. No choking the enginr doesn't help

Thanks

 
Burnell's Avatar
Visiting Guest

Posts: n/a

01-13-03, 03:59 AM   #12  
Burnell
Originally posted by JJordan
In all my experiences with Kohler K301As, I have never experienced valve float due to a weak valve spring. But seeing as you have eliminated the ignition and fuel issues, I would say that either it is a valve issue or an air issue. And I assume that you have removed the air filter and attempted to run it. These engines have an ACR (automatic compression release) mechanism that is mechanical in nature. Check to see if the ACR is not stuck open and not allowing the exahaust valve to retract at 600+ rpm as it should.
Not sure that this motoor has on. It;s an older oone. And I don't know where it would be located. Can you help me ???

Thanks

 
JJordan's Avatar
Visiting Guest

Posts: n/a

01-16-03, 09:53 AM   #13  
JJordan
The inspection cover for the ACR mechanism is on the side of the engine below the carb. It should be about 5 4 inches long and kinda crescent shaped if that makes sense. Held on with 4 cap screws. Check the little tiny springs on the counter weights to see it they are still in place.

 
Burnell's Avatar
Visiting Guest

Posts: n/a

01-17-03, 04:21 AM   #14  
Burnell
Originally posted by JJordan
The inspection cover for the ACR mechanism is on the side of the engine below the carb. It should be about 5 4 inches long and kinda crescent shaped if that makes sense. Held on with 4 cap screws. Check the little tiny springs on the counter weights to see it they are still in place.
OK will do. Thanks alot for your help

 
Search this Thread