Mower won't start

Old 01-11-03, 10:33 AM
Lowdrag
Visiting Guest
Mower won't start

I would like to say that this is a nice forum and I am a new DIY with small engines. The other day I started my riding mower and it ran good. While mowing the lawn, the engine (12HP B&S, Model# 281707, Type# 0029001, Code# 90091111) started running wide open. I shut the engine off and took the breather off. Everything looked fine. I decided that something was wrong so I removed the carburetor to take a closer look. I found the valve choke plate for the throttle sitting in the intake valve area. I could not find the screw that holds it on. So I removed the cylinder head cover to see if the screw was in there. No luck, it wasn't in there. So I drained the oil out into a catch pan. I poured it into another container that had a filter setup on it and still no screw. So I tryed to drain as much of the oil out that I could and then turned the motor over on its side. I removed the pulley. Then I flipped it over so that the top of the engine was on the ground. I didn't hear the screw when I flipped it. I then removed the sump plate (Engine base). I turned the engine back over and shook it to see if the screw would fall out. It did indeed fall out. I don't believe I rotated the engine at all in this process. So I reinstalled the sump plate. Installed the pulley and put the engine back on my mower. I fixed the carburetor and reinstalled it. Put the fuel line back on and put some oil in it. I went to start it up and it didn't start. I removed the spark plug and it had some oil on it and was dirty. I cleaned it up with some gas and reinstalled it. I poured a little bit of fuel in the carb and tried it again. It started a popping sound and then started spitting a flame out of the top of the carb. I removed the carb and exhaust and used the pull start handle (I pulled real slow). I noticed that the valves (intake and exhaust) are not moving at all. I am stuck at this part. Any advise would be appreciated. Also, is there a good book out there for repairing small engines that anyone would suggest. Thanks for your time

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-03, 04:50 PM
Lowdrag
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

I pulled the motor back apart and fixed my problems I made internally. I put the engine back on the mower and started it up. It ran for about 5 seconds and then shut off. I poured some gas in the carb, restarted it and shut off after about 5 seconds. Does anyone have any suggestions for this problem? All your help is appreciated.

Old 01-11-03, 06:33 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
If it runs for a few seconds when you pour fuel in the chamber, you have fuel problem.

You might have trash in the carburetor or from all the rocking and tipping around, you may have upset the carburetor settings or float.

My vote's for taking the carburetor apart to clean it first, and failing that, time for a rebuild of it.

Old 01-12-03, 01:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree that you have a fuel problem. I think you'll find that the float is stuck in the upper position. Check the carb out and see what you find!

On the valve problem....I'm guessing the woodruff key that held the cam drive gear on the crankshaft fell out?

Old 01-12-03, 11:16 AM
Lowdrag
Visiting Guest
Got it running

I have finally got the mower to run. I took the carb off and cleaned ti real good. I also think that the valve needle on the bottom of the fuel bowl was screwed all the way in. I would like to thank everyone that helped me with this problem. Thanks

Old 01-12-03, 11:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Glad we could help!