Engine Starting Problem

Old 01-10-03, 02:46 PM
Coady
Visiting Guest
JD Lawntractor/Snowblower

I just got my John Deere snowblower attachment on, ran it & cleared out my driveway the other night no problem. Then today I went to blow out my laneway and it won't start. Its a 214 John Deere, has worked for 5 years no problem,(other than a new belt) I did an oil change and a new air filter in December. Any suggestions would be great. The few times it did start, as soon as I put the choke back in it stalled.

Thanks so much!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-03, 06:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Coady!

It sounds like you have either water in the carb, or some other carb problem. Do you have spark? What engine do you have?

Old 01-10-03, 08:22 PM
Coady
Visiting Guest
Water in carb?

I have the manual but it doesn't say anywhere what type of engine it is other than 14 hp. It did turn over and then it just dies out...if it is water in the carb,
how would I go about avoiding this in the future?
How would I go about getting it out?
Did it get in there from blowing snow the other night. The battery is fine, I think your right about the carb.. so how would I fix this?

Thanks for your response

Old 01-10-03, 09:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Try looking at the engine...any stickers, labels, ID plates, etc... get the numbers and info off of them so I have an idea of what engine we are dealing with. Then I can give you specific information. Also, before tearing into the carb, we need to verify that we DO have spark. We don't want to bark up the wrong tree, LOL.

Old 01-11-03, 05:16 AM
Coady
Visiting Guest
Engine Info

Okay the engine is a Kohler 14Hp Model 321AQS and two other numbers below I do not know what they are as the writing is worn off: 60318 and 153124313
And can you tell me how to test for 'spark' I realize this is the spark plug, so how could I know if there is 'spark'
I know there is a bit of spark in me at the moment, with three dumps of snow to move!!!!
Thanks for the blessing I need all I can get!

Old 01-11-03, 07:12 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Pull off your spark plug lead. Put it near a metal ground. Fire up the engine. You should see a fat, blue, consistent spark. If you do, spark is not the problem .

You could try to dump a little fuel in the cylinder. If the unit fires and then quits after a few seconds, there is a fuel delivery/carburetor problem.

Cheese can direct you more on that. You might have trash in the carb bowl or ports.

Old 01-12-03, 01:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes...remove the spark plug, plug it into the wire, lay the plug on a metal part of the engine or frame in a manner that the metal on the spark plug is touching the metal on the engine or frame. Crank the engine. If you see a nice spark at the plug, then you have ignition. If you don't, start off with changing the plug.

Old 01-12-03, 04:26 AM
Coady
Visiting Guest
Lots of Spark!!!

Well I have spark!!!!

So how do I go about getting the carb clear of water?

gotta thank yous' for helping me with these baby steps that must seem really goofy, but I can tell you that I really have no expertise in this field.

thanks

Old 01-12-03, 03:19 PM
Coady
Visiting Guest
I gotta it working!

I went and bought gasline antifreeze and a can of quick start. I then put a heater under the machine and covered the whole thing with a tarp.... left it for 15 minutes, then I went back to it and took the air filter off and the blanket, took away the heater and gave it a shot of quick start into the carberator via the air filter opening. I then started it and presto!!!! I let it run for 10 minutes... Thanks!!!

Old 01-12-03, 11:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Great! Now...if you go to start it again once it cools down and have problems again, you might want to verify that the choke is closing fully. That would make sense if it starts easily with starting fluid.

If you think there is water in the carb, the best thing to do would be to remove the bolt that holds the bowl onto the bottom of the carb and remove the bowl. Dump it out and clean it out if it's dirty and re-install.

Search this Thread