Lawn mower power problem

Reply

  #1  
Old 01-13-03, 10:34 AM
jim1
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Lawn mower power problem

I own a Toro walk-behind push lawn mower model number 26562, serial number 0005044 that I purchased in about 1988. I run it approximately 50 hours a year and maintain it in accordance with the Toro recommendations. Toro issued a Blade Brake & Clutch (BBC) Control bar test after I purchased it which has a normal and special component. During the normal test the mower blade is stopped normally by releasing the blade brake bar and the mower is immediately moved over a wad of paper. During the special test, the brake brake bar is moved toward but not into the engagement position and the mower is moved over a wad of paper. In both cases, the paper is not supposed to be shreaded. The mower passes the normal test but not the special test. Until last year it passed both tests. My main concern about the mower however is that when the blade brake bar is moved to the blade engagement position it takes the blade a long time to get up to speed and once it does get up to speed it has significantly less power than it used to have. Consequently when I am mowing heavy grass the engine will bog down causing me to have to walk slowly to keep it from stalling out. As you would expect, the lower the throttle is set the worse the power problem is. I mention the BBC Control bar test because it may be related to the power problem since both problems occured at about the same time. I replaced the belt that drives the blade about 5 years ago after the original belt broke. Other than that the mower has had no other repairs. My question is what is going wrong and how do I fix it.
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 01-13-03, 07:54 PM
cheese's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 16,814
Hello Jim!

I think, by your description, that your blade belt may be loose and possibly worn or glazed to the point of needing replacement. Engage the blade with the engine off and check to see how loose the belt is. This would cause the poor performance of the blade in thick grass.

The failing of the tests you mentioned is probably due to a bad blade brake or the brake band needs tightening.

Let us know what you find, or if you need more info!
 
  #3  
Old 01-14-03, 05:51 AM
buttlint
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Jim

There are a couple of other things to look out for on those systems. In extremely dusty or sandy areas, the belts tend to wear rapidly. The sand acts as an abrasive and wears the belt quite rapidly.

It is unusual for a belt to break. When they do, it is usually caused by an idler pulley seizure. Make sure that the idler pulley bearing is not damaged or frozen.

Check that the plastic cover doesnt have large cracks that would allow debri to enter the BBC chamber. A lot of times grass builds up in the chamber to the point where things simply cant move freely.

Make sure that the arm connected to the end of the cable, at the deck is moving freely. There is a bearing around that shaft. It seldom is a problem, but the area can build up with corrosion and junk restricting the free movement of the brake.

Another problem could also exist in the cable. Sometimes they fray, and dont allow the full engagement of the clutch. This usually occurs at the top end of the cable, in the control box, at the handle. DO NOT take that box apart to check it. Just peep through the crack and see if there is a problem. (We have a special repair charge, called "opened BBC control" for people that take it apart and cant put it back together.)

Finally, the easiest thing, is the cable adjustment. That is controlled by the clamp that is held down at the deck, near the end of the cable casing. Loosen it, free it to slide, and remove any slack on the inner cable, by tugging back on the cable casing. You dont have to make it banjo tight, but just enough to take out excessive slack. (be careful loosening that clamp bolt, they have been known to seize up, and will snap off with to much force)

Good luck. 'lint.
 
  #4  
Old 01-23-03, 07:21 AM
jim1
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Thank you

cheese and 'lint,

Thank you very much for your inputs. I replaced the lawn mower blade drive belt and from all indications the problems with the blade taking too long to get up to spped and lack of power have been resolved. Before I replaced the belt it took the blade about three seconds to get up to speed. After I replaced it the blade came up to speed almost instantaneously. As I was replacing the belt, I observed how the brake works and the adjustments associated with it. I am confident that I will be able to correct the brake problem as well. At this point I am going to winterize the mower. The true test will come this spring when I cut the grass for the first time. I have no doubt that my problems are solved.

Again, thank you for your help.

Jim
 
  #5  
Old 01-23-03, 08:33 PM
cheese's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 16,814
Anytime! Glad we could help!
 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes