Pulley trouble

Old 01-26-03, 05:03 AM
Gordy Gonyo
Visiting Guest
Smile Pulley trouble

I need to take off two pullies, a 5 inch and a 3 inch. The trouble is, if I use my gear pullers in the normal way I know I will ruin the pullies. Is there a special set of pullers that will reach in closer to the shaft? Or is there a way to do this in another way? Thanks for any insight - Gordy.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-03, 09:51 AM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Hi Gordy:
I read the other posts. I cannot visualize the shaft being threaded and also a keyway? Unless threads are for the nut that holds the pulley on.
Probably fozen on shaft. If I understand correctly, can you remove the entire jackshaft, be easier to work on. Perhaps I do not understand your predicament entirely.

Old 01-26-03, 10:13 AM
Gordy Gonyo
Visiting Guest
The shaft has a nut, and the pulley has a key Darrell. I am trying to get the shaft out to replace the bearings and such. Thanks Darrell - Gordy.

Old 01-26-03, 12:37 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
OK Gordy, now I think I see. I have taken the blades off, removed the jackshaft housing . Remove blade bracket and key and you should push the shaft /pulley and all out the top. If I remember, the shaft does not have a shoulder. Get the jackshaft housing on a bench where you have better access. I dont know about the lubrication setup you have, I have removed the inner seals from the bearings before installation, drilled and installed a grease fitting in the jackshaft housing. That way you can grease them periodically. More than likely the pulleys have just rusted onto the shaft, they have a bad habit of doing that. Same with rear wheels unless you use a penetrating oil once in a while. I take mine off once a year and use a graphite anti-sieze lube on them. Might be a good idea to lube shafts good before re-installing pulleys and blade adapters.

Old 01-26-03, 01:14 PM
Gordy Gonyo
Visiting Guest
I think it has to go out the bottom. This is a 1965 Ford. The shaft is bigger on the bottom then the top. Thus the pulley removeal. Thanks - Gordy.

Old 01-26-03, 07:10 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Are you sure the large part on the bottom is not an adapter? If not then I would use a lot of penetrating oil and perhaps a little heat on the pulley hub. With some tapping, it should jar loose some. As I said earlier, try to remove the whole jackshaft housing so you can get to a vise.If you choose to use a split type puller, do not get to aggresive or it may distort the pulley.

Old 01-27-03, 04:32 AM
Gordy Gonyo
Visiting Guest
Thanks Darrell, I will heed to your advice. - Gordy.

Old 02-02-03, 05:33 AM
Gordy Gonyo
Visiting Guest
I ended up cutting the whole thing off darrell. Everything was frozen after 35 years. It turned out fine, thanks for the help. The key was on the shaft on top with the pulley. So if things are not frozen you could take the blade off and knock the shaft with pulley on out the top of the deck. The bearings were froze on the shaft and to the deck. -Thanks - Gordy.

Search this Thread