snowmobile engine

Old 01-27-03, 11:26 AM
jcpike
Visiting Guest
snowmobile engine

Is there a way to tell, by looking if the points are "worn out"?
377cc rotax snowmobile engine
Cheers,
John

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-03, 04:01 PM
racer
Visiting Guest
How old is the engine?
What year of snowmobile is it in? Newer snowmachines don't have points they have a magneto. What is the engine doing?

Old 01-27-03, 08:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello jcpike!

If your engine is old enough to be fitted with points, you can inspect them for wear/burnout. Access them and look at them closely for pitted contact areas or burned grey looking buildup. If that is present, cleaning or replacement is needed. Use a feeler gague to determine how much wear is present and adjust the gap to compensate for wear on the cam follower.

If it was built in the past 15 years, it may well not have points.

Let us know what you find.

Old 01-28-03, 03:53 AM
jcpike
Visiting Guest
contact points

Good Morning,
The snowmobile is a 1980 Moto Ski Mirage II.
it was only firing on one spark plug, so I replaced plug, replaced plug wire, checked coil, checked for broken wires, still no spark.
Removed belt pulley from flywheel and inspected points, they look like they are worn down compared to new ones I purchased.
Even if they are worn, would this cause no spark? I will replace them anyway but is there something else I may look for that might be the cause for no spark?
Any help greatly appreciated!
Cheers,
John

Old 01-28-03, 04:09 PM
racer
Visiting Guest
Are you sure that the coil is good? Did you check the connection wire from the engine to the coil? The way I would check it would be to switch the coils around and see if it will fire on that side then. If it does fire you have a bad coil. Both coils are the same on the engine so you can switch them around. Also check the ground wire that runs from one coil to the other. Hope this helps you out.

Old 01-28-03, 07:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Change the points...that's regular maintainence anyway. Set them properly and see if you have spark then. If not, check the coils as racer stated. Bad or misadjusted points will cause no spark.