Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Snowblower Engine Problem

Visiting Guest

01-28-03, 11:43 AM   #1  
slade
Craftsman Snowblower

When I'm using my Craftsman 29" 10hp. Tecumseh SnowKing Snowblower there's a blue flame coming out of the Muffler,can someone tell me why this is happening,and what can I do to stop it from happening?Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

01-28-03, 07:10 PM   #2  
Is it there all the time, or just when the machine is put under a load? Are you seeing this in the daytime? It is pretty common for a flame to exit the exhaust....especially if the muffler has rotted out on the inside. It mainly happens when the engine gets a load on it. Does it run well?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

01-28-03, 07:33 PM   #3  
slade
Flame in the muffler.

Thank you cheese for your reply.My Snowblower is running well.It is about 10yrs. old,the muffler still looks pretty good on the out side,but could be rotted on the inside.The flame is not there all of the time.The day that I noticed it the snowblower had been operating under a heavy load for about 8hrs.We had a bad snow storm which dumped 45cm. of snow,and the flame seemed to get worst after several hrs.So,yes,it was operating under a heavy load.I often saw a little flame occasionally under normal conditions,the day of the big storm is the worst I ever saw it,it was really throwing it out.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

01-29-03, 09:59 PM   #4  
It sounds like it may just be normal. If the carburetion is'nt right, it will tend to shoot a bit of a flame too. You may need to lean it up a bit if it seems to be running rich. (black smoke, sooty spark plug).

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

01-29-03, 11:29 PM   #5  
slade
flame.

Thank you again cheese for your reply.I think I might have found a portion of the problem.I never looked at the snowblower since the day after the storm,or since I posted the message.I went to check the oil in it today,and I looked at the muffler,and there was a nut loose,I tightened it,and I also noticed a hole with nothing in it.I went in to the house to get something,and noticed my dog made a mess next to my walkway,as I was cleaning it up right along side of the dog poop there was this bolt about 4" long.I picked it up and cleaned,and oiled it,and by jingoes if it didn't fit right into the other hole that I noticed in the muffler.I put it in,and tightened it,I feel that the loose bolt,and the replaced missing bolt that I found,just might be a big part of the problem.Thank you for your consideration,and prompt responce.I really appreciate.All the best....Slade.ps...I usually check this stuff out,but this has been such a hectic winter in Newfoundland with snow storms,I guess I guess it's really putting my ol buddy to the test.Thanks again.

Search this Thread