Engine Running Problem

Old 02-02-03, 06:03 PM
scoman
Visiting Guest
Question Another Craftsman Snowblower Prob

My 2 year old Craftsman snowblower w/ 5 horse Tecumseh will only run with choke full closed, I can get it to run w/ choke open only by pumping the primer constantly.
It bogs down severly under load, I did keep gas in it during the off season, with stable additive.
I blew out the fuel line, and cleaned out the tank, I was wondering if keeping gas in it during the off season could be at fault, and what to do to remedy the problem?
Thanks in advance for any help........
Scott

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-03, 07:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello scoman!

You guessed it! Keeping gas in it during the off season did it. The carburetor needs cleaning. Remove the bowl, and clean the bowl screw out. There are several tiny holes in that screw that need to be clear. This should get you going again!

Let us know how it goes!

Old 02-05-03, 08:13 AM
scoman
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the quick reply cheese, I removed the bowl, cleaned the bowl screw, the needle valve, etc. Blew out the fuel lines, and used fresh fuel. Still having to keep the choke full closed to run.
Thinking about a rebuild kit for the carb, or even possibly a new carb...??

Old 02-05-03, 08:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Count the holes you see in the bowl screw... there should be one vertical hole through the center of the screw....inside. Then there should be 2 near the head of the screw going through horizontally...opposing each other. Then, closer to the end of the screw in an area with no threads, there is a really tiny one that commonly gets overlooked. Sometimes when it is stopped up, you can't even see it. Make sure they are all clear.

Old 02-05-03, 12:09 PM
scoman
Visiting Guest
Thanks cheese, that did it, I didn't even notice that hole the first time, ran a bit of wire through it, and now she runs like a champ, thanks again for your help....Scott

Old 02-05-03, 04:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Good Job!

Glad I could help!