briggs engine speed

Old 02-15-03, 04:48 AM
briggs engine speed

hello

I have a 5hp briggs motor number 130200 (I think) that I recently rebuilt.......story for another day!

Since the rebuild, it starts right up on the second pull like it always did but it doesnt seem that I am getting the power out of it, like it isnt running at full speed. I know to adjust it I have to adjust the governor but I am afraid to do this without a tach.

My question is........is there a way to use a volt meter or some other common tool to tell engine speed? I dont know of any place that rents one and although I am usually all in favor of buying new tools, this one looks a little pricey and I dont know when I will use it again.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-03, 05:25 AM
buttlint
Visiting Guest
edsjr,

You can use a sirometer to check the rpm. They are relatively cheap, and highly accurate. If I didn't need an electric tach for setting chainsaws, I would still be using one.

There was a previous thread, on this board, all about them. Unfortunately, I cant find it. What they are, where to get one, and what they cost.

If that post doesn't show up, you can purchase one from most of the small engine manufacturers, Briggs, Tecumseh, etc. 'lint.

Old 02-15-03, 08:27 PM
You can get a combo hour meter/tach from the mail order tool houses (northern or harbor freight) for less than $40.

FWIW, as best I recall, they run about 3250 RPM at max throttle.