Honda generator

Old 02-16-03, 06:04 AM
Ken5156
Visiting Guest
Honda generator

I have a Honda ez2500 generator when I pull the starter cord I get a pull back and It rip's out of my hand. I took the plug out and it turns fine. I put some gas in the plug hole but it wont start.I have a nice spark.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-03, 07:31 AM
Congradulations!!!!!! You have the very well known semptoms of the classic sheared flywheel key. It only costs $1.00 so it isn't much of a project. Hope this helps.

Old 02-16-03, 08:47 AM
Ken5156
Visiting Guest
I took it apart and the flywheel key is ok.

Old 02-16-03, 11:45 AM
Are you sure the key isn't slightly sheared? Is it a perfect rectangle?

Old 02-16-03, 12:18 PM
It sounds like the gen. stator may have of come loose from the crankshaft. The stator acts like a flywheel and if it is loose it will kick back.
Normally there is a long bolt that runs through the stator and into the crankshaft. Check that bolt the be sure it is tight.

Old 02-17-03, 11:49 AM
Ken5156
Visiting Guest
The flyweel key is ok and the stator is tight

Old 02-17-03, 12:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Wow...I figured that one of the two possibilities mentioned would surely be the problem. Pull the plug out and see it the engine turns freely then. It might be filled with gas. If it turns freely, but no gas comes out, the next order of diagnosis would be to pull the valve cover and make sure your valves aren't stuck closed....maybe a rocker arm came off or a push rod bent keeping the valves closed.

When you turn the engine with the plug out, make sure your plug wire is not in a spot where it could spark in case gas does come out.

Old 02-17-03, 05:23 PM
Ken5156
Visiting Guest
I adjusted a rocker arm and It started fine on the first pull. Runs great! Now how do I properly adjust them. I just loosened the one arm a nudge and everything worked fine. But IM a little uneasy about that. Any info on that subject would help.
Thanks
Ken

Search this Thread