Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Snowblower

Visiting Guest

02-16-03, 11:17 AM   #1  
Davemd
Snowblower

I had some bad gas and removed the carb to clean it. I put it back on and it has no throttle control and is running very fast. It is a 8HP engine and I see one adjustment screw on the carb and one at the bottom of the fuel bowl, What does the one on the fuel bowl do? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links

02-16-03, 11:53 AM   #2  
Are you sure you reconected all the throttle conections? The screw on the bottom of the bowl is for hi speed fuel adjustment.

Visiting Guest

02-16-03, 12:03 PM   #3  
Davemd
snowblower

Thanks mower,
yes i did but am concerned that I may have bent one a bit. This thing is running so fast that the muffler is glowing. how many turns out should that high speed screw be, and I assume the other screw on the carb is low speed? I appreciate your help, we are in the middle of a blizzard but I am afraid to damage the engine.

02-16-03, 01:16 PM   #4  
A carb usually has a high speed adjustment screw and low speed adjustment screw. Yes the other screw is probably the low speed adjustment. You might even have an idle adjustment screw on the throttle linkage. Do you know for a fact that you also reconected the governor linkage to the carb? I am not sure on this but usually you back the screw out about 1 1/2 - 2 turns once it is in all the way. The glowing muffler could be caused my a rich mixture. After you have the engine started, put it at idle and adjust the low speed adjustment screw, then after the engine is running smooth speed it up to full throttle and adjust the high speed adjustment screw until the engine runs smooth. The only purpose for setting the screw at a certain amount of turns is so you can start it. Your engine may require a slightly different mixture setting than another engine exactly like yours, so only you can tell what the right mixture will be. Does the engine back fire while it is running? Also, there might be more than one whole in which you can hook the throttle to. You have to make sure that the cable is hooked in the same whole you took it out of.

Visiting Guest

02-16-03, 01:51 PM   #5  
Davemd
snowblower

OK, I think you may have hit it on the head! I was not sure what hole to put the linkage in, so I looked for wear and put it in that one. I am going to reset the screws and double check the linkage, again thanks for the advice.

02-16-03, 02:41 PM   #6  
No problem!!!!!
Hope everything works out

Search this Thread