Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

mtd snow blower


vogelh's Avatar
Visiting Guest

Posts: n/a

02-17-03, 08:30 AM   #1  
vogelh
mtd snow blower

I have MTD model 316e660g000 and it won't start. I changed the plug, fuel,and oil and it won't kick over. Where do you apply "quick start"? The carborator is well hidden and there appears to be no air filter. Help-2 feet and counting.

 
Sponsored Links
cheese's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator

Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 16,567
GA

02-17-03, 12:16 PM   #2  
Either take the plug out and shoot a little in the plug hole, or directly in the air intake. This may get it going, but I tend to think you have trash or gum in the carburetor.


"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

 
Joe_F's Avatar
Visiting Guest

Posts: n/a

02-17-03, 02:30 PM   #3  
Joe_F
Cheese is on track. Pull off the bottom bowl screw and clean the three holes in the screw (they need to be spotless) as well as the bowl area. My guess is there is crap in there. Did you leave fuel in it from season to season? (That's a no no).

I have to do this to my neighbor's machine. It will barely run off of choke. I believe there's trash in it now too

 
vogelh's Avatar
Visiting Guest

Posts: n/a

02-17-03, 04:51 PM   #4  
vogelh
Originally posted by cheese
Either take the plug out and shoot a little in the plug hole, or directly in the air intake. This may get it going, but I tend to think you have trash or gum in the carburetor.

Thanks Cheese-I'll give it a try. Dumb question-How do I recognize the air intake-its not specified in the engine's diagram.

 
vogelh's Avatar
Visiting Guest

Posts: n/a

02-17-03, 04:55 PM   #5  
vogelh
Originally posted by Joe_F
Cheese is on track. Pull off the bottom bowl screw and clean the three holes in the screw (they need to be spotless) as well as the bowl area. My guess is there is crap in there. Did you leave fuel in it from season to season? (That's a no no).

I have to do this to my neighbor's machine. It will barely run off of choke. I believe there's trash in it now too
Joe-According to the diagram, the carburetor consists of a central screw attached to a larger nut. There is also a bowl drain screw. Are you saying that I must remove the central screw? Will that cause the entire assemply to come off? Just want to be prepared. Thanks.

 
cheese's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator

Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 16,567
GA

02-18-03, 03:12 AM   #6  
The larger nut is actually a bolt/screw. Remove it to clean it out. There are tiny holes in the sides of that bowl screw up around the threaded area.

The air intake can be found by tracing the tube attatched to the carburetor away from the engine until you get to the end. The engine gets it's air at the end of that tube.


"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

 
vogelh's Avatar
Visiting Guest

Posts: n/a

02-18-03, 12:06 PM   #7  
vogelh
Originally posted by cheese
The larger nut is actually a bolt/screw. Remove it to clean it out. There are tiny holes in the sides of that bowl screw up around the threaded area.

The air intake can be found by tracing the tube attatched to the carburetor away from the engine until you get to the end. The engine gets it's air at the end of that tube.

I got it to work, but did I screw something else up? It worked for a while, but now it starts and stops. Gasoline is squirting out of the primer button. Was this because I placed the machine on its side?

 
cheese's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator

Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 16,567
GA

02-18-03, 12:32 PM   #8  
Probably so...the float is stuck in the open position. Remove the bowl again and get the float in place.


"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

 
Search this Thread