Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

starter motor wont engage flywheel

Visiting Guest

02-18-03, 09:51 AM   #1  
george maxtor
starter motor wont engage flywheel

10 year old craftsman snowblower. model 536.885471. tecumseh.

the pull rope broke several years ago. i never fixed it. now the 120 v electric start spins, but the engine doesnt. i took the pull rope assembly off and turned the engine by hand to make sure the engine wasnt the problem.

sears wants 206.00 for a new starter motor. the whole snowblower only cost 800.00 new. i would like to avoid a new motor. sears also sells separate parts for the starter. does anyone know if i only need, if i can get, the parts that engage the starter to the flywheel ? or must i replace the starter ?

also, is there an easy way for me to replace the starter rope ? without getting killed i mean. or should i take it somewhere and get it replaced ? i have heard that if you dont know how to replace the starter rope then you shouldnt try it.

i live near new haven conn. and just got 2' of snow. i was able to clear half of it before it wouldnt start . i have to go shovel now.

thanks.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

02-18-03, 11:58 AM   #2  
buttlint
George,

Replacing a rope is a fairly simple task. Remove the rope from the pulley. If the rope broke at the handle, you shouldnt event have to buy a new piece of rope. Just melt the frayed end and run a rag over it to form a point.(Dont burn yourself) you should now have a rope with a knot at one end and the point at the other.(set it close at hand)

Now take the starter and turn the pulley counter-clockwise until it stops. Then back it off until the hole that the rope goes thru, lines up with the hole in the cover. Holding it in that position, take the pointy end of the rope and stick it into the hole in the pulley, and then thru the hole in the cover. Feed the rope to its end and the knot is sitting in the hole of the pulley. Now tie the rope in a temporary knot, so that it doesnt slip thru the hole in the starter cover. You should be able to let up tension on the rope, and the temporary knot will hold the spring tension. Take your handle and insert the pointed end of the rope into the handle and tie a nice tight knot at the end of it. Now go back and and untie the temporary knot and let the spring tension retract the rope back around the pulley.

Give the handle a couple of tugs to see if the dogs are popping out from the center of the pulley. If its rusted in that area a little oil or wd woulnt hurt. Install it back on the machine and see how it works.

Going beyond replacing just the rope, is a bit more of a challange, and you may want to take it in for repair. If you bring in just the starter it is usually a quick service. We charge 10 bucks plus parts.

As far as the electric starter goes, that is generally another item that you can remove and take in for service separate from the machine. But be extremely careful, reassemling back onto the machine. Make sure that it goes back on exactly the way it came off. I have seen several occassions where too long of a bolt was inserted into the top hole of the mounting bracket, and has punched a hole thru the side of the cylinder wall. ( that's a shortblock, and that aint cheap.) Good luck, 'lint.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

02-18-03, 12:37 PM   #3  
Hello George!

'Lint gave you some good advice.

The electric starter bendix is stuck. Remove the starter, pop the black plactic cap off of the shaft above the gear. Lubricate the shaft area above the gear with WD40 or something similar, then turn the gear while pulling it up. You should be able to get the gear and the bendix to go up on the shaft enough to see the twisted "helix" on the starter shaft. Spray well on that area. Under the gear is rubber....wipe any lubricant off of that rubber. Make sure the whole thing moves freely. This will probably solve your problem unless the rubber under the gear is just wiped out.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

02-18-03, 01:02 PM   #4  
george maxtor
thanks to both of you.
i understand i can try to fix the electric starter or bring it in for repair, rather then buying a new one.
i also understand i can bring the rope starter assembly in for repair at a price that might be worth me not doing it myself.

what i still dont understand is how i can install a new rope myself. im not going to waste everybodys time by having you explain it over and over. if i dont get it this time, i will just bring it in for repair.

when i remove the starter rope assembly i am looking at a rope sandwiched between a disk and the assembly case. the disk is held in place by a tube that has two fingers that pop out of it when it spins. i assume to engage the engine.
are you saying i can replace the rope with out dissasembling the entire assembly ? are you saying that by turning the pully that the broken rope is attached to i can replace the rope ? or did i misunderstand ? i thought i would have to take eveything apart and deal with the spring .

Visiting Guest

02-18-03, 02:34 PM   #5  
buttlint
George,

Hopefully the spring isnt broken, most of the time they are not. I understand that sometimes the rope gets tangled around the pulley and can be hard to get off. I usually am able to find the end of the broken rope and remove it without taking the pulley off. If the rope is wrapped so tightly around the pulley that you just cant get it off, then yes, you will have to remove the pulley from the assembly.

But if you can get the old rope off, and then can rotate the pulley counter clockwise until it is fully wound, without loosing its tension, then you are home free. If you find that the spring wont "catch", or you are turning it without it coming to a stop, then you know that the spring is broken, and needs to be replaced.

You sounded a bit trepidatious(is that a word?) about getting into replacing the spring. http://www.cpdonline.com/home.htm is a link to the service manual. #692509 is the one you need.

Replacing the spring on the type you are describing(tube down the middle) is a pain if you dont have the right tools and some experience doing it. If you can determine if the spring is not broken, the way I decribed above, and all you have to replace is the rope, go for it.

I have the right sized drift to knock that (tube) out, but I would advise not trying it without the tool. Those tubed are usually rusted and tough to get out without distorting them. And when you reassemble them, that pin has to be driven back to a certain location.

I hope I havent confused you further, (I know I am quite capable of doing that.) If it is just a broken rope thats easy, but if the spring is broken, take it in. Its not worth the trouble if you havent done one before. 'lint.

Visiting Guest

02-18-03, 03:04 PM   #6  
george maxtor
as i said before, i am not going to continue this. you have been very helpful and i now know i can try to replace the rope myself or i can bring it in for someoneelse to do it.
all i am saying is i cant belive i can replace the rope that easily. although i dont have the assembly in front of me right now, when i looked at it i thought i would have to dissassemble it. and i knew better then to try that.
as soon as i get a chance i will look at it again and try to figure out what you are saying.
im sure it is just me. i have it in my head that there is no easy way to do it and no one is going to change my mind.
thanks for the help.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

02-18-03, 03:51 PM   #7  
It's easy if the spring isn't broken. You don't have to take any of that off, or disassemble anything. All you need in front of you is the starting assembly and the new rope. Then proceed as per 'Lint's instructions.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

02-18-03, 07:08 PM   #8  
If you have to replace the starter check out this site. This starter is just $99.00 and it shoud be the same as Sears.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...categoryId=130

Search this Thread