Snowblower won't blow

Old 02-18-03, 08:27 AM
Huskies
Visiting Guest
Snowblower won't blow

Hi everyone,
I've got a 3 year old Ariens snowblower (2 stage 8hp model 824) that worked great until it ate a newspaper buried under the snow earlier this year.

I unclogged the paper from the auger but since there have been problems.

It will throw small amounts of snow a small distance (5-10 feet) and the impeller clogs every 2-4 feet traveled. The auger is running fine as is the drive, it just appears there is not enough power getting to the impeller.

There is no scraping so I don't believe anything has been bent and the shear bolts are intact. I'm guessing the belt may need to be replaced since it seems slack, but I'm brain dead when it comes to these things. Any ideas on what the problem could be?

Old 02-18-03, 12:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Hello Huskies!

If the belts are too loose, then tighten or replace them. The engine may have also sheared the flywheel key if it came to an abrupt halt. Do the belts first, since that is needed regardless of the condition of the flywheel key. Let us know how it goes!

Old 02-18-03, 07:45 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It sure sounds like you have a sheared pin, bolt or key some where. Did you check both stages for a sheared pin. Some times it can be hard to detect a sheared pin on the fan or second stage. You may also have a sheared pin in the gearbox or key on the drive pulley.
The belt will appear to be loose until you engage the clutch handle. If you engage the clutch handle and the belt is still loose then it is bad.
If the flywheel key shears, the engine will normally runs bad if at all.

Old 02-19-03, 11:30 AM
Huskies
Visiting Guest
Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions, I will give them a try and let you know how I make out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: