Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

snowblower won't start

Visiting Guest

02-23-03, 01:00 PM   #1  
Bill Swetland
snowblower won't start

Hi,

I have read a few posts about blowers not starting...

I have a DYNAMARK snowblower with a 8 horsepower Tecumseh. (sorry do not know the model)

I did not start it for a whole season and had left gas in it.

:^ (

If I push the primer a few LOOOONG times it will start and run for 1 - 3 seconds...then die....

I have tried with gas cap loosened & off...I put some B&S "fresh Start" in the gas today.

I have never taken apart an engine before....Is there anything I can do...except cart it off to get it fixed ?

BTW...how does the primer get gas from the tank ? Does the gas go through the primer tube on the way to the carb ?

Thanks

Bill

Sponsored Links

02-23-03, 01:52 PM   #2  
OK. you need to clean the carberator. The fuel has varnished in the carb from sitting for so long. Is the gas in the tank fresh? You can pich up a can of carb cleaner for a few bucks. The primer bulb sucks fuel into it and when you push it it squirts gas into the carb to act as a choke so the engine can start on raw fuel. When you remove the carb from the engine you will have to completely disassemble it. You will need a small flad blade screwdriver to do this since the jets inside are sometimes recessed. Just unscrew them and spray the carb cleaner in every whole. Soak the whole thing down. You will have to look closely because sometimes those jets are small and hidden. This isn't a hard job to do. Also check to make sure the gas cap isn't clogged and that none of the duel lines are clogged either. Then it's just a simple matter of putting the carb back together and installing it. One thing to remember is to make sure you remember the exact whole where the throttle and governor linkage connect. Mark the whole they came out of so you will have less trouble down the road. You shouldn't need any new gaskets. Also since it is appart a carberator kit might be a nice thing to get. They usually run around $10. So all in all you are about $5-$15 plus 1/2 an hour from having a running snowblower.

Hear is a link with some of the same problems you are having.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...mpseh+AND+carb

Remember, tecumpseh carbs have small wholes in the large bolt under the carberator bowl that has to be cleaned spotless. A straightened out paper clip does a great job of cleaning these small passageways. Hope all this information makes sense. If you have any mower questions feel free to ask away!!!

Visiting Guest

02-23-03, 02:13 PM   #3  
Bill Swetland
Thank you sir,

As mentioned before ...I have never taken one of these things apart... Computers = no problem...Engines = ????

The "remove the carb" part seems a little scary...for me.

Is there some "step by step" with drawings or photos available for this engine ?

HMSK80 Found the model # on the side...

Thanks again...

Bill

02-23-03, 02:25 PM   #4  
I meant ot post a link earlier but I couldn't find one but now I got one. Hope this help you out.

http://www.lawn-mower-shop.com/carb1.htm

Keep in mind that you are only going to remove about half the things on the carb. The arm that the throttle hooks to doen't need removal. Only the small barta on the outside and the bowl at the bottom and the small parts in the bowl area. If you look closely you will see little brass screws. These are the jets that need to be removed. Just unscrew them and remove them. Clean them and the whole they were in and put the back where they were. That's it.To remove the bowl there should be a small bolt at the bottom. Remove it and the bowl should come right off. As mentioned before, remove the small jets under the carb(those small brass screw look-a-likes) and clean everything. There should also be one screw on the outside of the carb. It might have a spring under it. This is the other jet. Clean it and the whole it came out of and then replace it. So basically all your doing is just cleaning all the places that the small parts have to sit and seal. You probably won't see the dirt but trust me, it's there and if cleaned well, will make a world of difference.

By the way, don't be nervous about taking it appart. It's easy. Just make sure everything gets put back where it was. There would only be two jets. The jets are just like a small screw with a point on the end. Don't overtighten anything. BE GENTLE.

P.S. I don't know much about computers so it looks like you are ahead of me!!

Visiting Guest

02-23-03, 03:09 PM   #5  
Bill Swetland
Thanks again...I sure hope I can do this....

Is there any other common household sprays I can use to clean out the carb...

Like WD-40 ????

I don't have any carb cleaning spray handy

: ^ )

We got over a foot of snow

02-23-03, 03:20 PM   #6  
I cleaned the carb on my motorcycle and all I had was silicone spray. Of coarse this isn't much of anything but pretty much anything in an aresole can will blow the trash out. Yes wd-40 would be great. Use the little red tude that goes on those cans and shoot every whole with it. Clean it up the best you can and it should be running like a champ.

Visiting Guest

02-23-03, 03:31 PM   #7  
Bill Swetland
Thanks

I will leave you alone now

Best regards

Bill

02-23-03, 04:26 PM   #8  
I look forward to your questions.

Visiting Guest

02-23-03, 04:27 PM   #9  
Bill Swetland
Well I had dinner and decided to get out the tools and have a crack @ it...

I was able to get off the housing where the choke goes through and....

As soon as I figured out that I couldn't even "find" the carb...I gave up...

Sorry...

I guess that I will soon be at the mercy of some mechanic..

Thanks
anyways

Bill

02-23-03, 04:59 PM   #10  
Where the throttle hooks up and the intake goes is where the carb is.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

02-23-03, 10:38 PM   #11  
Hello Bill!

Look where the fuel line connects to the engine. That's the carb. There is a nut/bolt on the bottom that holds a bowl onto the bottom of the carb. Pinch the fuel line off so that gas doesn't run out, and take that bolt out. There are tiny holes in the sides of that bolt. Those are clogged. That is probably all you will have to do to get it going again (clear out those holes). It's very easy...1/2" wrench and a pin and 10 minutes is all you need.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

02-24-03, 09:04 PM   #12  
Bill Swetland
Thanks for all your help...

Best regards

Bill

09-16-12, 08:19 AM   #13  
He gave up, this was disappointing...

CT

12-29-12, 01:43 PM   #14  
Well, disappointing he gave up, but man was I glad to come across this thread. Did a full carb clean. Using brake cleaner the blower starts, but won't stay running. Pulled the carb apart again, but couldn't find a problem; everything's unclogged. Put it back together and same problem. Took a break for a bite to eat and came across this. Never even thought to check the little bolt at the bottom of the bowl for any holes. Finishing lunch then heading out to give that a try. Fingers crossed...

Search this Thread