chainsaw reply question

Old 02-26-03, 06:37 PM
sniper3270
Visiting Guest
chainsaw reply question

i want to know why sthil and husky's are so good i need the education on them in my opinion i think if u keep the filters changed a good bar and a good sharpe chain and the right fuel/oil mixture i think alot of brands will give u many years of service I think poulan power pro modles265 and 295 are real good saws i have two mccollach's to pro mac 10 10 20 inch bars both are about 2o some years old and would put them up against any sthil or husky any day but that is just my opinion and just my experince because iv'e used most of them......

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-03, 08:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Sniper!

You are right....many brands WILL give years of service with proper care and maitainence. Stihl and Husquavarna and other top of the line saws are built with superior materials in comparison to many others, but with neglect, they will fail too. Generally the better saws have stronger engines, better carburetion, stronger alloys, user-friendly weight distribution/balance, ergonomics, and vibration control.

Stihl and Husquavarna are not the only high-quality saw companies either.

The cheaper quality saws are that for a reason...to supply people with a tool they need for a task they have in a lower price range. Many of these saws are decent tools, but generally, the top of the line saws perform longer, require less repair, require less adjustment, out last, and feel better when in use. It's like any other tool or product...there is an economy line/base model/or lower-quality model or brand for everything, and quality goes up from there. The same answer could apply to the question: "What makes Snap-on screwdrivers better than made-in-taiwan screwdrivers?" There's a niche for everything.

You know what saws have given you good service, and which ones have not. Use what has served you well. Experience is the best teacher. I think EVERY brand of sawmaker has built some darn good saws, and some not-so-good ones. It's the averages that make the difference.

Old 02-26-03, 09:01 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
It depends on your intended use. Sure, my Craftsman tools have served me well. But, in an everyday shop enviornment, they are probably "OK" to the professional mechanic.

For me, they get the job done well and keep money in my pocket for other things. Same with this item or others too.

I could have bought an Ariens used snowblower, but my 1965 Murray/AMF/Noma/Sears has character and was a great deal .

There is some stuff that is outright junk and your experience will tell you that. Other items are a surprise. I tend to buy older and heavier duty built items. There are some of my Craftsman tools that are so old and in good shape as hand-me-downs or garage sale specials that I refuse to trade them in for a bit lesser quality new shiny tool!

I agree with Cheese.

Old 02-27-03, 06:13 AM
sniper3270
Visiting Guest

don't get me wrong sthil and husky are real good saws i was just wondering why everybody thought they were so good it's just my opioion i just think with proper upkeep that you can buy a less expensive saw and get the same results but thanks for the input it really helps me

Old 02-27-03, 09:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
For the casual homeowner who rarely needs a saw, and is never in the position where they depend on the saw to run, the low-end saws may do just fine for them. There is a reason you don't see lumberjacks using $89.00 Department store saws. You will not get the same results with one...even when brand new. The RPMs arent even the same. Yes, you might get "satisfactory" results, but that depends on what "satisfactory" is in your mind. If "satisfactory" means being able to cut a couple loads of 6" firewood every winter and do some trimming around the house, with small adjustments and repairs occasionally needed to the saw, then most any saw would be fine. I work on these things for my living, and see tremendous differences in workmanship and materials, so I can't tell someone they will get the same results out of a cheapo saw, BUT...they might get results that are good enough for them. Know what I mean?

I do want to clarify that I am not knocking cheap saws. They have their purpose.

Here is one example of my many experiences with saws:
I usually keep at least 2 saws ready and running, because when I get ready to use one, someone else is usually with me. One of the 2 saws is one that I got years ago, a stihl, and is still with me ready as ever. The other saw has been a mcculloch, a poulan, another poulan, a homelite, etc... The stihl was there to see the demise of each of these "other" saws. The only thing I have done to it since I put it on my shelf to use was clean the carb, replace the fuel lines, sharpen the chain, and the occasional carb adjustment. It still starts on the 2nd or 3rd pull and runs like new. I am not what might qualify as the "casual" saw user though. Usually when I crank up a saw, its about to get ugly, lol!

Old 03-05-03, 07:33 PM
MrWrench
Visiting Guest
AMEN! Cheese. I also fix saws and mowers for a living. I always say, "You get what you pay for" . This is especially true in the power equipment industry. Don't expect to stroll into Sears on a Saturday morning and buy a saw and expect to go home a clear the back 40 with it. I believe that every piece of equipment sold today has "it's place" in the market. Not everyone can afford that nice new white and orange or red saw, so they have to opt for the grey or green one. As long as they understand that they are getting what they are paying for. For most people its a learning curve in quality.

Old 03-06-03, 12:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yup...I used to say that too (you get what you pay for)...but nowadays, I don't think hardly anything is worth what you pay for it, lol!

Search this Thread