Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Snowthrower Question

03-01-03, 06:59 PM   #1  
REO Snowthrower

I am trying to determine the engine on my REO Power Snow Thrower and have been unable to do so. All I can tell you is there is a stamp on the fron of the block that reads 19 70 I am assuming this is the year it was manufactured but, am not sure. Hopefully this can shead some light. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to help me

Sponsored Links
Admin, Forums Host & Manager

CAL

03-02-03, 05:03 AM   #2  
Hello: Test

If the engine block is cleaned free of grease, oil and all dirt that sticks to any, there may be an additional stamp found elsewhere.
Try fully cleaning the entire engine and looking for such under the fuel tank, carb or on the started housing cover.

Every engine manufacturer uses one or both methods to indentify the engine model and serial numbers. Some use engine stamping while some use a plate or both means.

I am sure, if you look carefully and closely, somewhere you will find additional information. The question you're asking is for a problem the engine is having?

If so, most likely the professionals in this forum can help you without knowing the exact model numbers. Simply describe in full details the symptoms, prior history and any current repairs or adjustments made or chnaged, etc.

Reading the existing questions with like or similar problems or conditions may provide you with some assistance.

If you need further assistance, please use the REPLY button. Using the reply button moves the topic back up to the top of the daily topic list automatically.

Regards & Good Luck. Tom_B. Web Site Host & Small Engine Forum Moderator. "Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-02-03, 12:19 PM   #3  
Hello test!

I can't tell anything about your engine from those numbers...19 is a common prefix for briggs engines in the 8hp range, but they are the first 2 #s in a series of 6 for the model#. Reo is a really old name, I'm not sure if they were still in existence in 1970. Maybe. See what other identifying marks you can find...can you post a pic?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

03-02-03, 06:52 PM   #4  
I will post a pic ASAP. The only other marks on the blower were MW8869, and that was on the Gear Casing. I know I'm trying to find a needle in a haystack but, this is driving me crazy. Does anyone know when REO stopped making snowblowers. Again, I will post a pic ASAP.

Thanks for any insights

PS, the blower kind of looks like the one JOE F purchased from ebay...

Visiting Guest

03-02-03, 07:34 PM   #5  
Joe_F
Yes it does . In fact, I've been trying to help this poster too .

Very close to my 536.82231 Craftsman in look and operation, but mine was made by Western Tool (essentially now Murray). You might want to contact WheelHorse (I believe that is part of Toro now) as they seem to have absorbed your brand down the line somwhere.

In my case, my Western Tool made Craftsman went through a couple of takeover companies. In turn, Murray was sharp enough to keep the old records and manuals and I lucked out!

Look closely at your engine. I believe you have a Tecumseh like mine, but you must look for #s on the blower housing.

03-02-03, 07:39 PM   #6  
OK, Just found another set of numbers. They are on the flywheel.

There is a symbol before the numbers start. It kind of looks like the briggs and stratton symbol where they are 2 diamonds laying verticle interlocking. Well anyway, the number is...

3 F5018

Could this be the start of something. I hope so...

I searched the blower housing endlessly and can not find any markings...

Visiting Guest

03-03-03, 03:54 AM   #7  
Joe_F
George:

You might want to contact B&S Techline (they are helpful) and see if they can help with the motor specs and #s. They will send you a free parts list if they have it. I'm sure B&S uses numbers on the blower housing though!

The URL is www.briggsandstratton.com

03-03-03, 05:11 PM   #8  
I just found this set of number on the engine shroud. Anybody care to take a stab...

491-110-325

Does this mean anything

Thanks

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-03-03, 09:04 PM   #9  
Ahh! Those look like Clinton #s. Clinton has gone out of business...many years ago (early '70s I think), but NOS parts are still around. There are usually 4 numbers in the second set, check to be sure you didn't miss one. From what I can tell by those numbers, it is a 4 stroke. If the 1 after the 9 is definitely a 1, then it designates the engine as a vertical shaft engine. If it is a even #, then its a horizontal shaft, which makes more sense...unless this shroud came off of another engine that may actually have been vertical. The # also tells that this has a rope starter, and plain bearings.

I hope this helps!

God bless!

Visiting Guest

03-04-03, 05:39 AM   #10  
Joe_F
This poster e-mailed me personally and told me the flywheel has Tecumseh and 30811 on it.

That is the same # as the flywheel for my machine. We are probably looking at a 6HP or larger Tec motor here. I definitely suggested the poster call Tecumseh technical services, they will be good at tracking this down.

I found an REO site and they usually made their own engines, but after a while they bought from Tecumseh, so the fact we are seeing a Tec on here makes sense.

Cheese: Clinton was in business until at least 1980 as I have a price sheet/tech bulletin sheet in some old books at work from that date.

I agree---some # are missing from this equation.

Last edited by Joe_F; 03-04-03 at 09:19 AM.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-04-03, 04:42 PM   #11  
Hmmm...wonder what those last #s were that he posted. I couldn't remember when clinton went out of business, I guess it was more recently than I thought. It's been a while though. I hope he can figure out just what he has, because I cant make heads or tails of any of those #s.

Sure did think those were clinton #s though, they are VERY similar, other than having 4 digits in the second set of numbers.

God bless!

Visiting Guest

03-05-03, 07:20 PM   #12  
MrWrench
Test, The Old REO power shovels were tough heavy units in their day! If your machine is Teal in color and has an Engine that has a cylinder that is on a slant then you have a Reo 211 engine mostlikely. After this they made bigger 2 stage units which if I remember correctly were Red and had either Clintons or large frame 4.5 hp and 5hp Tecumsehs. They stopped making the larger 2 stage Reo's in the late 60's.

03-05-03, 07:25 PM   #13  
Thanks MR. Wrench. I beleive it may have been teal in color. When I was stripping the paint I noticed it. What is your email address, I would like to send you some pics.

Thanks again

03-05-03, 07:31 PM   #14  
Thanks MR. Wrench. I beleive it may have been teal in color. When I was stripping the paint I noticed it. What is your email address, I would like to send you some pics.

Thanks again

Visiting Guest

03-05-03, 07:36 PM   #15  
MrWrench
Test. I would love to see which model you have. Send me some pics. JPEGs
[email protected]
Thanks

03-05-03, 07:41 PM   #16  
You've got mail....Hope you have broadband connection

Visiting Guest

03-05-03, 07:56 PM   #17  
MrWrench
Hey Test, that took forever to download...! LOL. Your Engine is a Tecumseh. Either a 5,6, or 7hp. They all looked very similar. All use the same Tecumseh 31840 carb kit. Your Snowthrower looks an aweful lot like an old Gilson!

Search this Thread