No Spark !

Old 03-05-03, 08:26 AM
sprocket226
Visiting Guest
Question No Spark !

I received a Simplicity snow-buster 220 for free. It has no spark. I tried new plug, took the cover off, looked at the ignition, all looks OK. The engine is a little 2-stroke.
Is there a test I can do on the condenser and coil to see if they're ok? Like put an ohm meter on them and check for resistance?
Here is a pic of the ign.
pic
This is just alittle project to see if I can get it going, Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-03, 07:04 PM
MrWrench
Visiting Guest
Hey Sprocket, Your Simplicity has a little 2 cycle Tecumseh engine. Probably an HSK600. Try changing the Points and the Condensor which are the same as the 4 cycle ignitions, you should be able to get them at any small engine shop. Make sure that you put the magneto back on exactly where it was before. you should have spark if you coil is still good.
Josh

Old 03-05-03, 08:37 PM
sprocket226
Visiting Guest
I was thinking the same thing too. Must be bad coil...OK, thanks !

Old 03-06-03, 12:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hi Sprocket!

Make sure your points are opening and closing, with a .020" gap at TDC, and check your kill wire to make sure it is not grounded. That system is a pain to set just right, but usually, if the coil is mounted exactly where it was (look at the marks on the bolt holes where it was mounted), and the points are set at .020", then you should be ok, if all components are good. I believe if you check for continuity between the wire that goes to the points, and the coil laminations, and you have no resistance, the coil is shorted.

Old 03-08-03, 06:11 AM
sprocket226
Visiting Guest
There are 3 wires connected to the post at the points, one is the kill switch, one goes to the condenser, the other goes to the coil. Is that right?

Old 03-08-03, 10:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Correct. Take the kill wire off, set the points with a feeler gague to .020" when the little line on the points cam is even with the cam follower, and see if it sparks.

Old 03-08-03, 03:20 PM
sprocket226
Visiting Guest
Tried it, no spark. Well I had to go to Walmart for dog food, took a stroll to lawn-mower dept. I bought a Techumseh tune up kit, (points and condensor and new plug) put it in, set the plug at .030 and the points at .020. WA-LA! nice blue spark! So I put it back together and now I have a little snow-blower for $11!
My wife thinks I'm nuts for wanting a couple of inches of snow tonight!
Thanks!

Old 03-10-03, 09:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Great! I'm glad you got it going!