lawn mower problem

Old 03-08-03, 01:25 PM
lawn mower problem

I bought a 2nd lawn mower last year. It is a Murray 12hp, 38 inch cut. I tried to crank it today and the battery seemed weak. I charged it for about 1 1/2 hours on a 2-amp trickle charge. It started and I drove it around in the yard for a few minutes. Then, when I cut it off, it would not start back up. It just makes a clicking sound when you try to start it. So, I figured the battery was gone. I took the battery off my 1st Murray, and tried it in this 2nd mower, and it would not even start it. I know this battery is good, because I have cranked this mower several times this year.
So, why would a good battery not start the 2nd mower? I even took the battery off the 2nd mower and put it in the 1st mower, and it started. It was weak, and it took several seconds to start.
There is a little black box hooked to the side of the frame, just in front of the battery, that the positive wire is hooked to that goes to the battery. That is where you can hear and feel the click I am talking about. What is this black box? Any suggestions on what to look for that might solve this problem?

Thanks,
Dean

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-03, 04:51 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Hello dmitchelljr, the black box is the solenoid and if its clicking it is probably OK. I would look for a faulty connection somewhere in the loop. Loosen the connections, inspect, re-tighten and give it a try as you go. You may find one that is the culprit. I doubt that the problem is where the red wire bolts to the starter but if checking this connection be sure to hold the nut behind the red wire connector as you loosen the outer nut because you can EASILY break the stud that goes into the starter. The starter drive gear could be hanging in the flywheel. To check this remove the two screws that hold the plastic starter gear cover on and inspect. The gear should be resting on top of the starter and will jump up into the flywheel gear teeth when you turn the key. The gear should return to its position below the flywheel gear teeth when you release the key or the engine starts. If this doesn't get you going get back in here....Mike

Old 03-09-03, 12:18 PM
Way to go MIKE! The reason my mower would not start was because the starter drive gear was caught in the flywheel. I took a screwdriver and wedged the drive gear loose. Then I turned the key, and it cranked. When I released the key, the gear returned to its position below the flywheel gear teeth, just like you said it should. Thanks a lot for this helpful advice.

Dean