Generator Question

Old 03-10-03, 03:01 PM
Raybaby
Visiting Guest
Honda EM 2200X Gen fule mix ?

Hi, just purchased a honda EM 2200 X Gernerator at a Garage Sale and was wondering if I needed to add a fuel oil mix to it, I have no manual to find out but the unit does take regular motor oil in a separate compartment, also the unit only starts when I spray starter fluid in the carb, it lasts a few seconds and cuts off, any sugestions, could it be that I need a oil mix in the fuel,

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-03, 05:11 PM
Oil Doc
Visiting Guest
Your Honda Does NOT require a gas/oil mix. Do not use starting fluid, it crushes the piston down around the rings.

Rebuild the carb and have it soaked. From then on ALWAYS use a gas stabalizer. Gasoline begins to deteriorate in 30 days causing gum and varnish.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!!
Oil Doc

All answers to questions posted in this forum and all other forums should be answered within the forum.

In that manner, everyone learns.

Personal web sites and email addresses within the forums should also be avoided. Many of them contain ads and advertisements to market products. Which is not allowed within the forums.

Web Host & Multiple Topics Moderator
Tom_B

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 03-11-03 at 05:50 AM.
Old 03-10-03, 09:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Correct. That engine does not require oil in the gas. Make sure the gas shut-off lever is pushed the right direction for fuel flow to the carb. If it is, then you will need to clean the carb to get it running.

Old 03-11-03, 02:59 AM
Raybaby
Visiting Guest
Carb cleanning

I have Searched the web for a Honda repair manual and cannot seem to find a site out there I can order from, even though I no nothing about how to rebuild the carb I guess I need something to read on how to do it, anybody know where I can get the info from,

Old 03-11-03, 09:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ebay commonly has Honda manuals and other manuals that include Honda engines. That would be a good place to look. Otherwise, check with a honda authorized dealer about getting a manual.

It's really not hard to do the job, and I think you can do it without a manual. We can help. Just remove the carb, remove the bowl, and unscrew the adjustment needles, jets, and such, clean them, and reassemble. Make a sketch on a piece of paper to help keep track of parts and where they belong if you need to. The inlet needle (small rubber-tipped needle that is clipped to the float) on honda engines rarely goes bad, and is not cheap, so I reccomend re-using it. If it leaks, then replace it, but if it is not leaking now then it should be OK.

Old 03-12-03, 10:19 AM
Raybaby
Visiting Guest
carb reply

I just removed the air filter housing and the bowl underneath , there is a large yellow plastic float there , I do not see any needles to remove, just a smooth float , god only knows how to pull the carburator off if I even need to, I tryed to pull it off but it seems like it does not want to come off, I will try to use the browser for pics or the carb otherwise I can email the two pics from [email protected] , just send a request , thansk for all the help

Old 03-12-03, 10:52 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Honda of America or whoever handles the power equipment should be able to help with a service manual or owner's manual.

Ask them if they have a PDF file you can download and create your own manual. That's what I try to do .

Old 03-13-03, 12:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The needle is not visible without removing the float. A small pin goes through the float at the "hinge" to hold it on. Does the float move up and down? If not, it is stuck.

Old 03-13-03, 08:33 AM
Raybaby
Visiting Guest
removed the float on the carb

you guys are shure helpfull, I finally removed the float and see the rubberized pin jet, how is a good way to clean it, like useing carb cleanner , should I soak the pin,

Old 03-13-03, 04:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Don't soak it, just spray it off with carb cleaner and wipe it clean. Use a Q-tip soaked with carb cleaner to swab out the fuel inlet where the needle goes. Spray the carb cleaner in and through all passages you find, remove the adjustment screw on the side of the carb and spray through it too. Wear safety glasses when doing this because that spray can come back into your eyes...and it HURTS!

Old 03-14-03, 11:29 AM
Raybaby
Visiting Guest
clean carb wont start

Just finished cleanning the carb after takeing it off and shooting carb fluid through the tiny holes and jets, even all the varnish deposites on the bottom of the bowl, + the tip on the float has been cleaned, still does not start but sounds a lot different, like it is sucking air , there is a rear door on the carb just before it enters the piston chamber, there is a adjustment screw that adjusts the door any idea what position this rear door should be in, I tryed adjusting it a few times but to no results, Ray

Old 03-14-03, 03:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That screw is the idle speed screw. All it does is hold the throttle "your rear door" where it needs to be at idle. Changing its' setting will throw off its' base idle. Is fuel getting into the bowl at all?

Old 03-15-03, 02:04 PM
Raybaby
Visiting Guest
carb reply

I Finally went off the deep end and gave into my frustration and took the unit to the honda dealer to be fixed, i will post the results of what finally was the mystery of the problem so if anyone runs into a simlar problem they can compare, thanks to all

Search this Thread