Irratic Power Washer behavior!

Old 03-15-03, 08:46 AM
FazTaz
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Irratic Power Washer behavior!

Hey guys me again. Now that the snow blower is fixed I have another small engine problem. This time with my pressure washer.

Model: Karacher 2400
Engine: Honda GC160
2400 PSI pressure washer

Ok the power washer works fine, only problem is when I put the 40 degree fan atachment and on occasion the 25 degree fan attachment I'll get only 1 or 2 seconds of high pressured water and then I'll just get regular pressure water for 3 or 4seconds after which the cycle repeats itself. For this reason I can only use the 25 degree attachmen or smaller. The water supply to the unit is uninterrupted and has a full flow of water from standard copper piping. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to your advice!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-03, 12:40 AM
When the water pressure changes, is it because the engine changes speed or is it because a pressure valve on the pump releases pressure?

Old 03-16-03, 06:11 AM
Admin Emeritus
Several Possibilities

Hello: FazTaz

There are or could be one or more of several possibilities to check into for a possible reason why the described condition occurs.

If the engine RPM remains constant {you did not mention this in your problem description} during the situation, than it is possible the pressure pump is defective.

However, in my opinion not likely, do to the fact you claim the equipment functions correctly without the fan attachments installed.

In that case it's possible the water volume changes and the pump is not being supplied with sufficient water volume. You did not fully mention water volume when the attachements are attached. as compared to without them.

In either instance, the water supply line from the tank may be restricted from inside the holding tank. Check the water pickup line and filters installed within the line and the pump.

Another possibility is the water pickup line from within the holding tanks is restricted. The fill tanks and or holding tanks caps venting system may be restricted.

An intake air restriction may cause a partial air vacuum to restrict water output volume. Also note if there is any engine rpm changes during all functions, describe them in a reply to this original question.

Check back on your question several times to read any other additional replies from the members and moderators offering their professional advice and possible problems solutions.

Regards & Good Luck. Tom_B. Web Site Host & Small Engine Forum Moderator. "Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.
Fast...Fair...Friendly & Highly Proficient Services....

Old 03-16-03, 10:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Another thing to check is the inlet screen. Debris caught in the screen could be floating around in different positions blocking the flow intermittently. Debris in the valve body will do the same thing.

Old 03-16-03, 10:49 PM
FazTaz
Visiting Guest
Hey all thanks for the replies and suggestions. Previously I did check the intake screen and cleaned the fan nozzle with a wirebrush. The problem seems to have gone away. I was able to use the 40 degree fan attachment today. The first minute or so it was still sporadic working for 2 or 3 seconds then going to normal pressure. however after a min it worked for 15 minutes straight. It appears as though the engine does infact fluctuate in RPMs, but only when I use the 40 degree fan nozzle (which has me stumped). At least I was able to wash all 3 cars. Before the 25 degree nozzle was so damn strong it would remove the factory paint on the brake calapers on one of our cars.
Again any suggestions would be greatly appeciated. Thanks again guys!

Old 03-17-03, 03:11 AM
Try adjusting the fuel mixture to where it would run a little on the rich side. It might be running to lean, that would cause the surging.

Old 03-17-03, 06:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree with Mower17...it sounds like you may be running a bit on the lean side due either to water in carb, carb adjustment, restriction in carb, etc...

When an engine does this, it usually is more prone to surge as the load on it decreases. The 25 degree fan puts more of a load on the engine than the 40 degree fan and that is why it works better. Once the carb problem is solved, it will not do this.

Old 03-18-03, 07:08 AM
FazTaz
Visiting Guest
Ok guys sounds good, when I was some more cars this weekend I'll adjust the carb. Am I correct in assuming that the carb adjustment is similar to the 7HP Tecumseh motor on my Snow Thrower?? Thanks again!

Old 03-18-03, 07:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't know what engine you have, so I can't tell you if it is similar or not. Some new carbs have no adjustment, and this may be the case.

Search this Thread