Snowblower Problem

Old 03-16-03, 06:19 AM
jacques
Visiting Guest
Snowblower issue

I have a Craftsman 536.90520 26" 8Hp, it runs but only at one speed, really fast. The governer appears to be attempting to throttle the engine back but is having no effect. I also need to run the engine choked or it will stall. What would cause this?
It's no doubt the carb, but? Help....

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-03, 07:54 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello and Welcome Jacques to the Do-It-Yourself Web Site and our Small Engine forum.

It's always possbile the throttle is being held wide open by the throttle cable which may be out of adjustment, etc. Try removing the cable from the carb throttle plate on the carb body.

Once it's removed, restart the engine and note the results. If the engine continues to run only at high speed, check the throttle on the carb body. It may be sticking in the full open position.

If the engine runs normally or at idle speed without the throttle cable attached, then the problem exists with the cable and or some where within it. It may be sticking, slipping, kinked, bent and or in some fashion out of adjustment.

Having to run the choke to keep the engine running is an indication the carb is fuel restricted internally. In this case the carb needs to be cleaned out.

Read other already asked questions pertaining to engine running problems, carb problems, and like topics within this forum for additional information.

Contained within those questions will be replies which contain the methods and procedures to properly cleanout a carb and or rebuild the carb.

Most likely I haven't covered all of the potential possibilities. The other resident small engine service and repair professionals may offer additional suggestions, advice & help.

Check back on your topic several times over the next several days for additional replies.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button. Using the reply button moves the topic back up to the top of the daily topic list automatically.

Regards & Good Luck. Tom_B. Web Site Host & Small Engine Forum Moderator. "Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.
Fast...Fair...Friendly & Highly Proficient Services....

Old 03-16-03, 09:04 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You have a Murray made machine, which likely has a Tecumseh engine on it.

Take off the carburetor bowl. Using a pin and carburetor cleaner, clean out the float bowl bolt. There three holes, they must all be clear and spotless.

Reassemble and tell us what you've got now .

Old 03-16-03, 09:11 AM
jacques
Visiting Guest
Tom,
Thank you very much, but after looking at the carb this morning
I think I just need to get a rebuild kit. there is all kinds of build
up inside from sitting around. It appears the previous owner
left it sitting around full of gas. I can see the fuel bubbling up
through the main jet, its almost like a water fountain....lol

Old 03-16-03, 10:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree...sounds like you need to work on the carb and get it cleaned up. The throttle plate is most likely stuck. Spray it with penetrating oil inside and above on the throttle shaft and work it back and forth until it is free. Common problem.

Let us know how it goes!