Engine Smoking

Old 03-19-03, 02:31 PM
smokin 17hp briggs

As with Hopro,, I have a 17hp briggs, OHV, on a craftsman rider. 4years old, and all of a sudden it started to smoke badly out of the exhaust. first I changed oil and check ok no gas.. then I pulled off the dirty airfilter and left it off, and started it up again, smoke came out of the breather tube and exhaust badly again.. So I was thinking about pulling the head off and checking the head gasket, I hoping it's not the rings! But it looks like it to me? Is that why smoke is coming out of the breather too? please help.. before I tear this thing apart... David

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-03, 12:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is it bluish white smoke? If so, I think you are on the right track when you think about checking the head gasket. If this happened suddenly, it is probably the head gasket but still could be rings. Rings usually don't go bad all of a sudden. Pull the head and let us know what you find!

Old 03-20-03, 05:39 PM
Tcumcman
Visiting Guest
Smoking 17HP

Buckman, Cheese....In my travels around to Dealer's shops,
I've run across this symptom before, and I believe "THE FIX"
is a new head gasket. The style of gasket they use on these
is prone to do this over time because of its design. It's pretty
thin on the edges and can allow oil to leak from the push rod
tubes into the combustion chamber.

Tcumcman

Old 03-20-03, 10:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Often enough, that is the problem, but I have found in most cases that the oil is gas thinned. In the cases where the oil is fine, then the head gasket is the usual culprit. Compression/combustion gasses also squeeze past the gasket into the pushrod chamber, pressurizing the crankcase and causing oil to blow out of the breather pipe.

Old 03-24-03, 04:43 PM
fixed smoking

after tearing the head off and checking the gasket, was disapointed not to find a bad gasket,, I inspected the cylinder wall and no trouble was found there.. So I replaced gasket and put it back together.. On start up it did'nt smoke, but then I started the blades and it started to smoke.. So I got a can of carb cleaner and spayed down the carb. and breather... and FIXED IT!!!! When buying the gasket the guy there said it could be some needle in the carb..?????????

Old 03-25-03, 10:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, that is what I was hinting at if the oil was gassy smelling. If so, the carb float needle is leaking. If the oil is not gassy smelling, then the needle is probably ok. By spraying out the breather, you may have dislodged a piece of carbon or debris that was keeping the check valve in the breather assembly from sealing. This will cause your smoking problem as well.

Search this Thread