Engine Electrical Problem

Old 03-21-03, 05:59 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
b&s no start wire broke

Good morning all, hope I don't fry the coil- so after getting nowhere repeatedly yanking on the starter cord, I took a look at the
snapper mower- model 21405ps 83368, serial 84362928 and saw the

briggs and stratton model 111707 type 3048 code 88042508 engine

had a broken thin single white wire that wraps around the left side of the engine (when viewed from the front). It's connected, I think, at the kill point, just up and behind the air filter near the carb, and then parallels a thicker white wire with a socket in the middle of its run, and both wrap up under the back left side of the tank. The thin wire broke off from somewhere up there. Ground the wire anywhere?, don"t ground?, connect to coil? Looks like the gas tank and starter have to come off. Is that going to be a JOB? Thanks for any help/advice, Bob

Old 03-22-03, 01:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Hello jiraphe!

The broken wire should not keep the engine from starting as long as it is not grounded. I'm not sure exactly what wire you are describing though...sounds like a safety switch wire that runs to the grass chute where there should be a contact that kills the ignition if there is not a chute or deflector in place.

Old 03-23-03, 12:51 PM
J
b&s no start wire broke

Cheese, thank you. Engine started. Cleaned the plug, air cleaner and reconnected a wire to the battery that was off a few seasons, but it never hindered starting the mower.
It's a self-propelled electric-start. I don't think I got a spark from the unmarked key positon,where I've always kept it, but did from the run position, where it is now. (A third position is the start.)
The kill switch still works. The wire is connected at the kill switch end, ( two wires are at this switch), but this single thin wire wraping around the engine is broke off from somewhere in back of, and on top of the motor, so I moved it away from any metal. Could this wire leading from the kill switch be broken off from the armature ground??? Thanks again, Bob

Old 03-23-03, 06:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Not likely, if your mower still shuts off by the key. Since this is an electric start engine, I'm thinking this may be the alternator wire. Is the wire connected to the engine, and broken off at the other end, or connected to something on the mower, and broken off at the engine end?

Old 03-24-03, 07:09 AM
J
B&S no start wire broke

Cheese, thank you again.

The Snapper manual says the keyswitch has two positions, Run and Start. The third position is for key insertion/removal. The sales guy told me to run it in this position, insert/remove, back in '88.

Also the engine cannot be stopped at keyswitch, but only by the blade bail or engine control.

The broken wire appears to be connected at the killswitch end of the throttle control, but broken off from the other end on top of the engine. Since that is under the gas tank, I can't see its position. Can I check out the wire now that the engine starts?

Thanks.

Bob

Old 03-25-03, 10:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, ground that wire and check for spark. If you have none, then this is a kill wire, connected to the coil, and probably intended to connect at the blade brake assembly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: