Smokin

Old 03-16-03, 06:51 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smokin

Have a Briggs & Stratton 16.5 hsp. OHV about 4 years old.

Smokin a lot, fouling plugs and burning a lot of oil.

Took everything off not having to do with making it run and started it up.

The problem seems to be what I identified through my parts list as the "Oil Breather". It goes from the engine housing through a tube to an "inside hole" where the air cleaner sits.

After running for a while, oil starts accumulating in the bottom of the air cleaner housing and I am quite sure when the air cleaner is on with the rubber seal on the bottom, the oil goes right into the carb.

Any guesses what the real problem is? Money's low and would like to fix it myself. Was hoping I could tighten a nut and it'd go away, but no luck on that score.

Thanks for any good suggestions.

Old 03-16-03, 09:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Hello Hopro!

There are a few things that could cause this. A bad breather valve could be the problem. Rings could be worn or broken, the cylinder could be scored, the head gasket could be blown, gas could have leaked through the carb into the crankcase and thinned the oil. Any of these things can make oil blow through the breather into the air filter. Make sure your oil level is not too high and does not smell like gas to start off with.

Did it start this over a gradual amount of time, or all of a sudden?

Old 03-17-03, 08:21 PM
H
Cheese,

Thanks for the note.

It was burning oil gradually more each month.

The heavy smoking started within a 10 minute period while hauling a moderately loaded utility cart up a small incline.

All in all, from your comments, I guess tearing into the guts of it is necessary since so many things could be causing the symptoms.

Don't know whether I have the tools to do the job, but think I can put something together that I've taken apart. If I have to remove valve system (OHV), remove the head and piston, it will be new territory for me. Whether foolish or not, would probably try to fix it.

An further advice would be most appreciated.

Again, thanks.

Old 03-17-03, 10:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hold on...don't tear into it yet, you may not have to. Check the oil first to see if it is overfull, thin, and/or smells like gas. If so, carb work is all that is needed. The breather can be replaced without tearing into the engine too. Tell us what you find the oil to be like first of all. It would be a shame to tear the engine to pieces only to find out the float needle was leaking.

Old 03-18-03, 07:21 PM
H
Cheese,

The oil is not thin, black and low on the stick (black). Doesn't smell like gas is in there.

As mentioned, the oil burns and plug will start fouling due to the oil from the breather pipe in the air filter housing goes into the carb. I

Started it again today. Oil is coming out of the breather (pulsing lightly) in addition to the smoke. I would guess that within a 10 minute period, approx. 1 tablespoon of oil will come out of the breather. It ran alright since the air filter wasn't on and the oil was dripping forward and on the ground, instead of into the carb.

My guess is that if the air breather was permanently off, the thing would run okay except for a little loss in power and a lot of oil burning. Of course, being in the woods, a lot of things can get sucked up the carb and it would not be a very good solution.

Thanks for sticking with me on this. Much appreciation.

Hopro

Old 03-18-03, 07:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ok, next thing to do would be to pull the head and check the head gasket. If it is blown, it will do this. If not, you have to remove the head anyway to inspect the cylinder and rebuild the engine if necessary, so you'll be 1 step ahead.

Old 03-19-03, 07:36 PM
H
Cheese,

Will start tearing into it tomorrow.

Thanks so much for getting me past checking the right things before the next steps.

Wishing you all the best with gratitude.

Hopro

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: