Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Engine Starting Problem

Visiting Guest

03-24-03, 06:16 AM   #1  
Jerry1
Honda HR 216 Lawn mower

My Honda HR 216 Has a Roto Stop lever. When I try to start the engine (pull start) the blade stays engaged. This will not allow the engine to pull thru clean loading the engine. does anyone know what ould be causing the blade to remain engaged?
control lever looks as though it is acuating the cable underneath the mower/ went to honda web site .....Useless. Any other sites?
Thank you to all responders.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

03-25-03, 05:27 PM   #2  
ALMOST
blade won't disengage

did ya look and see if there is a adjustment on this beast , maybe it is'nt pulling the disengagement back all the way , just a thught

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-25-03, 10:30 PM   #3  
That, or...the clutch under the engine is not disengaging due to rust or frozen cable.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

03-26-03, 04:58 AM   #4  
Jerry1
Thank you for your replies, I have had the cable all the way out slides thru the shroud fine. It does pull the spring loaded lever and the springs are present and appear to be working. How would I go about checking to see if the clutch is disengaging?
Bade turns when I try to start the engine. Due to this load the engine will not start.
Thank you again for any replies.
Perplexed in Indy

Visiting Guest

03-26-03, 05:36 PM   #5  
ALMOST
blade won't disengage

unplug that spark plug and try adjusting the cable and give it a try well you are adjusting it , like another post said could be in the clutch it's self to , but try adjusting it again

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-27-03, 12:33 AM   #6  
That cluth has some ball bearings in it that roll between two plates to activate the blade. Sometimes these balls get rusted into position and keep the clutch from operating properly. Sometimes the clutch fiber disk just gets stuck to the plate, and a little pry with a screwdriver helps pop it loose.

God bless!

Visiting Guest

04-04-03, 04:46 AM   #7  
Jerry1
Thank you all for your infomative posts. It appears that this clutch is locked up..... How do I pull the clutch out of this Beast ?
Thanks again for the good info.

God Bless

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-04-03, 10:51 PM   #8  
Hmmm..been a while, but I have one in the shop right now that I have to remove, so I'll check, but I think you have to remove the blade, then remove 3 or 4 screws around the outside of the clutch to pull it apart. Try soaking it with some PBblaster or other good penetrating oil and tapping around the diameter of the clutch with it disengaged to get it to pop loose first.

God bless!

Search this Thread