Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Gasoline Deposits

AL

03-24-03, 10:56 AM   #1  
Gasoline Deposits

I have a couple of plastic gas cans which have some dark deposits in them from evaporated gasoline. I would like to get the gunk out of the cans but haven't found a solvent which will disolve it. I have tried laquer thinner, acetone, MEK, paint thinner, alcohol, and spray paint dryer/reducer, all with no luck. Does anyone know what will disolve this material?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

03-24-03, 02:33 PM   #2  
Joe_F
It may be cheaper to just buy a new can in all honesty . You could pay the same amount in solvents to clean it.

POR15 sells a fuel tank sealer for automotive use, it will probably coat a gas can just as good. I'm sure it's not cheap. Might want to just pitch the cans and start over .

AL

03-25-03, 04:06 AM   #3  
Yeah, Joe, I suspect that you are correct. I'll probably just toss them. Thanks.

Visiting Guest

03-25-03, 05:29 AM   #4  
Joe_F
Briggs and Stratton makes a neat spillproof can that you can get at Home Depot. It's pretty cool .

NJ

03-25-03, 08:39 AM   #5  
gas can

Hello Joe F. Didn't see a B&S can at Home Depot and am looking for a real good mower and saw gas can. Any other type or kind you like and that would not tip in the trunk. Thanks, Bob

NJ

03-25-03, 08:42 AM   #6  
Sorry Joe F, didn't catch your please don't e-mail. Regards, Bob

Visiting Guest

03-25-03, 09:21 AM   #7  
Oil Doc
The can Joe refers to is a nice can, unfortunately all Home Cheapo Depot's do not carry the same merchandise. I have found this out the hard way seeing that we have at least 6 within a reasonable drive from here.

Check out a larger mower shop in your area. But PLEASE beware of carrying a can either in the trunk or inside the car. You not only can be overcome by the fumes and pass out while driving but it is an explosion hazzard.

Also, when filling any can, be sure it is an approved can, ALWAYS be sure the can is on the ground and ALWAYS be sure the pump nozzle is ALWAYS in touch with the can to avoid static discharge causing a fire.

Visiting Guest

03-25-03, 10:38 AM   #8  
Joe_F
If you are concerned about running out of gas in an automobile there are products on the market that are "emergency fuels" and are safe to store in car trunks. They give you enough fuel to get a few miles.

My advice to you: If you let your gas run that low, take the bus, don't drive . On a modern fuel injected car, avoid running the tank low. When you do, you starve the fuel pump for coolant (fuel), lubrication (fuel) and you invite dirt into the pump (lack of fuel) .

NJ

03-25-03, 11:16 AM   #9  
gas cans

Oil Doc and Joe F. Thank you both for the solid advice and reminders.

Looking for a can to bring home a gallon from the nearest station now and then as I have lent my outboard and tank, which of course has my fuel line and bulb, that I use for a car siphon to my gas can. I guess I'll buy another line and bulb.

Regards and thanks again, Bob

Search this Thread