Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Lawn Mower Question

MD

03-21-03, 12:48 PM   #1  
lawn mower

hello
i have a toro model 20016 self propelled but the question applies to all self propelled. i got it for my daughter last summer and all ran well-i went to use it this year and noticed the handle bar that controls the clutch that you squeeze to make it go forward was so slack it did not engage. no one has touched it sense i out it away so i'm puzzled unless i nudged it while changing oil etc.-i pulled the plastic housing and the spring, belt, pulley, etc were all ok. the only way i could see adjusting the clutch was a clamp on the side rail of the handle-one way the tension was very tight and the other, it was slack. this all makes sense so far. the left front wheel which is the drive wheel seemed stubborn and when i turned it by hand it clacked. i should have paid better attention last year but i don't want to crank it till i know it won't be damaged.
should that drive wheeel make a noise-obviously it is the gears making a noise-it can't run silently-is the way i am adjusting the clutch the way to do it?
i hope my question is clear enough for an answer and thanx for the help.
pete

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

03-21-03, 07:53 PM   #2  
Tcumcman
Toro 20016

Peterr,

I realize this is the "Do-It-Yourself" forum....but, I
would take this Toro to a service center and let them
fix for you. You probably are still within the equipment's
warranty period, and if it's not working properly, it
probably just needs the Personal Pace, or whatever
drive system it uses, re-adjusted.

Tcumcman

MD

03-22-03, 08:19 AM   #3  
service

thanx for the opinion, t, i found an authorized dealer near me; not sure what son in law will do yet.
while i'm here could you tell me if the way to get the nut off the pulley is to 'strike' the wrench to start it?
pete

Visiting Guest

03-22-03, 12:39 PM   #4  
Tcumcman
Nut on Pulley ??

Pete,

Not sure what you're referring to ?? Again....if the "pulley"
you refer to is part of the drive system....why not let the
Dealer deal with that before you may damage something
or cause him to feel you've VOIDED your warranty by
working on it yourself....

Tcumcman

MD

03-23-03, 04:07 AM   #5  
info

hi t
i just like to learn so my question was theoretical and had nothing to do with the first problem-the pulley as you know moves freely and i was curious as to how you woud take the nut off the top that secures it if for example you wanted to change a belt.
pete

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-23-03, 06:52 PM   #6  
Hi peterr

If this pulley is on a tensioner arm, wedge the tensioner arm that the pulley is connected to with a block of wood or hammer handle and then remove the nut.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

MD

03-24-03, 01:36 PM   #7  
wedge

thanx for the tip-off wedging i go.
pete

Hello Pete

Please use the REPLY button to ask any additional questions pertaining to this equipment. Doing so keeps the entire thread together and makes it easier to read and follow along for everyone reading the question.

Thanks,
Web Host and Forum Moderator
Tom_B

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 03-24-03 at 07:53 PM.

Search this Thread