Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Chainsaw Starting Problem

Visiting Guest

03-24-03, 07:42 PM   #1  
Bishop
ECHO CS3000 Chain saw no fire

It was running fine, I shut it off for 1 hour, now it will not start. Plenty gas, new plug, still no fire. What's a sure-fire way to test the MAG for spark?

Sponsored Links
Admin, Forums Host & Manager

CAL

03-24-03, 08:17 PM   #2  
Hello Bishop. Welcome to the Small Engine forum.

Before suspecting the magneto, I would suggest disconnecting the engine kill switch. If the switch is defective and always grounded, it would be keeping the engine from starting.

An ohm meter continuity test would also reveal if the switch is always grounded.

The forums resident small engine service and repair professionals may offer additional suggestions, advice & help.

Check back on your topic several times over the next several days for additional replies.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button. Using the reply button moves the topic back up to the top of the daily topic list automatically.

Regards & Good Luck. Tom_B. Web Site Host & Small Engine Forum Moderator. "Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.
Fast...Fair...Friendly & Highly Proficient Services....

03-25-03, 11:35 AM   #3  
Bishop, never trust a spark plug. Just for the sake of doing it, try another new plug...I have seen more than my share of new plugs dead out of the box....I have also had plugs that fire when testing, but not under compression. The switch is another very common grounding problem. What kind of saw is it? Does it have a two piece ignition?

Visiting Guest

03-25-03, 12:02 PM   #4  
Oil Doc
Amen Dennis,

You must have been around a while. More than once a new plug out of the box has given me a fit. The worst luck I had was with Champion plugs, both regular and private labeled.

When I had my shop, I would only use Autolite and Bosch for the commercial guys unless I was out of stock and the last resort was a Champ.

Search this Thread