Chainsaw Problem

Old 03-27-03, 09:17 AM
Fabguy
Visiting Guest
Question Stihl chainsaw problem.

I'm going to have this thing comming in for repair today. Here's a copied and pasted description of it's problem.

"I have a stihl 011 chain saw that will start and run. But after running a little the chain seems to bind up and stop. The engine still runs, but the chain won't go."

I asked the usual questions about chain and bar condition and adjustment, and he said that he "THINKS" it's all okay, so I want to know what else I should look for to help the guy.

Thanks in advance
Jeff

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-03, 03:31 PM
buttlint
Visiting Guest
Fab,

Check the sprocket for wear. Off the saw, run the chain around the bar and look for binding. Look for bent drive links on the chain. Make sure that the chain isnt adjusted super tight. The most obvious of all is make sure that he doesnt have the brake engaged. 'lint.

Old 03-27-03, 05:38 PM
ALMOST
Visiting Guest
chain saw

look for a pinched bar , maybe this thing got hung up in a leaning tree and shoved the groove in the bar together , mite just need a screew driver the open up pinched area , if not the above post would be a good bet

Old 03-27-03, 08:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree...check the bar track for pinched spots or bluish discoloration from getting hot. Check the sprocket at the end of the bar for bad bearings or wear. Make sure the chain is not worn so far down into the bar that it is rubbing the bar track anywhere. Either way, the problem should be cured with a new bar and possibly chain unless the brake is engaged, causing the problem.

Old 03-28-03, 08:27 AM
If it runs for several minutes then starts binding, it sounds like an oiling problem to me...causing heat and then binding.

Old 03-28-03, 06:47 PM
Fisher
Visiting Guest
I vote for the oiler being a problem as well. remove the bar
and chain and run it and watch the oil flow, or lack thereof.
Fish

Old 03-28-03, 08:43 PM
oh I see...an instigator....and why wouldn't you be?

Old 03-30-03, 07:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yep...a dry chain would have caused the problems I described in my last post, and I didn't even mention to be sure it was oiling. Thanks for covering my oversight guys, I appreciate it. I hope the original poster didn't just replace the bar and let it go without checking it for proper oiling.

Old 03-30-03, 07:56 PM
Fabguy
Visiting Guest
Actually, I haven't even SEEN the thing yet.... I think it'll be here in the next couple of days though.

BTW... Thanks for all the input. I USUALLY only deal with stuff like this when then engine doesn't run.