Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Engine Selection

Visiting Guest

03-29-03, 11:50 AM   #1  
ElcoGuy
best small engines

Is there any way to know what are the best built, longest lasting small engines. I hear Hondas are great. How does one know? Anyone know of any objective comparisons, ratings, tests, etc. some serveice guys have told me one's as good as another. Friends tell me there are big differences. . . . ElcoGuy

Sponsored Links
Admin, Forums Host & Manager

CAL

03-29-03, 04:20 PM   #2  
Hello ElcoGuy. Welcome to our Do-It-Yourself Web Site and our Small Engine forum.

Engine selection is one of several determining factors to consider when planning to make a mower purchase. To determine which engine is best, in my opinion, read the comparative testing results of the consumers buyers reports.

The intent is the obtain an independent and non biased informational report which is free of personal opinions. From these reports you and only you can best determine for yourself which brand and which engine will provide you with the best product for it's intended usage.

Any other means will only provide you with personal opinions. All of which are selective and most likely biased based on personal observations and ownership. None of which may be the same for you and your intended usage of the equipment.

>>>>>>>>>****Moderators Note:****<<<<<<<<<

The question above is open to all replies and all posted replies are are welcomed. All replies are to be considered personal options and not actual facts. Unless they can be backed up with or by non biased reports from independant engine or comsumer testing labs.

Tom_B. Web Site Host & Small Engine Forum Moderator. "Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.

Visiting Guest

03-29-03, 06:28 PM   #3  
ElcoGuy
Thanks , Tom, for the welcome & the reply. Where can I get conumers buyers reports on engines? I've seen reports on equipment but not engines

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-30-03, 06:54 PM   #4  
ElcoGuy...

Try typing in "small engine performance comparison" in google or a good search engine. In my experience, Honda and Kawasaki are almost untouchable in the quality department, but they have a few that are not the best engines too. The other manufacturers have some excellent and some not-so-excellent engines as well. Kohler is usually a really good engine too.

Look for pressurized oil lubrication system, cast iron or steel sleeves, non-plastic carbs, and overhead valves are generally preferred.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

03-31-03, 12:14 PM   #5  
ElcoGuy
Engine Selection

Excellent suggestion, Cheese. Tried it on a couple of search engines and i didn't come up with anything. Any other suggestions to obtain objective data? Thanks in advance.

God bless.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-31-03, 06:38 PM   #6  
Well, I tried for a while too, and couldn't come up with any info. I thought there was a site that had these comparisons, but I guess it's gone. Ask around, go to lawnmower and small engine forums and ask. Take note and figure the averages. Check with lawn maintainence companies...see what they like. Ask at local repair shops.

I have worked on small engines for some 14-15 years, and I think the 14HP Kawasaki is probably the best, most reliable small engine commonly available. (for whatever that's worth).

God bless!

03-31-03, 08:49 PM   #7  
Honda or Kawasaki are both good motors, I prefer Honda, but the truth is it is as personal decision as boxers or briefs. And I do not have as much experience with small motors as Cheese dose, just so you know.

Visiting Guest

04-02-03, 09:33 AM   #8  
Joe_F
Depends on the requirement, the equipment and the use in my opinion.

If we are talking snow blowers, Tecumseh would have the small engine market there wrapped up. You just don't see a high end snowblower with anything else on it .

On other yard equipment, B&S is king and the choice of many companies.

Cheese mentions some good points, but bear in mind that parts for the Japanese small engines will be a bit costlier than their American counterparts.

I run mostly Tec equipped machines and I have had no problems with any of them----and my snowblower is close to 40 years old !

Visiting Guest

04-02-03, 03:10 PM   #9  
ElcoGuy
Thanks for your thoughts, Tom. B & S has a new line of snow engines on the market, so maybe they will cut into Tecumseh's dominance. I also have Tecumseh engines on a couple of pieces of equipment, one of them 15 years old - a neighbor has one on his 38 year old snowblower. Why do you think they get such a bad rap, given these success stories?

Last edited by ElcoGuy; 04-03-03 at 04:59 AM.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-02-03, 11:47 PM   #10  
ElcoGuy, there are plenty of reasons, but to avoid starting controversy (it has happened in the recent past over this kind of discussion), I will just say if tecumseh has served you well, continue to use them. You won't find one on any of my equipment, but that's me.

God bless!

Visiting Guest

04-03-03, 07:12 AM   #11  
ElcoGuy
Thanks for your opinion, cheese. since you have a lot of years of experience, i'll take your word for it. when i replace my lawn tractor, i'll shop around. but when i replace my snowblower, i guess it's tecumseh or pay twice as much for a honda. . . now that i think of it, i heard that b & s has a new line of snow engines on the market. any way of knowing if they'll be better than tecumseh?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-03-03, 10:56 AM   #12  
As far as snowblower engines, I have no idea. I live in S. GA. and never see them. Tecumseh may be the top of the line in that dept. ?? They have made a few good engines in the past.

God bless!

Search this Thread