Engine Starting Problem

Old 03-30-03, 02:59 PM
plausible
Visiting Guest
murray push mower

I have a Murray 20 "classic" purchased in 1996. Only last year did I start becoming interested in DIY and such so--yes flame me--but I've never drained the gas or oil from my mower. This year I "learned" how to sharpen its blade and was "excited" about cutting my grass. It started and ran but knocked and put out white smoke so I stopped and checked the oil and (here's my mistake I think) added some Lucas oil thinking it would help the knocking. Now it won't start and infact the starting rope kind-a hesitates going back in. It's a model # 20221x92b if that helps. I need to get it running soon as the grass is really getting tall. Also do they make a service manual (in plain english) for a push mower?

Tim

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-03, 04:13 PM
Admin Emeritus
Post Several Possible Problems

Hello: plausible. Welcome Tim to our small engine forum.

Recheck the oil level. If the level is too high, the crankcase is over filled. Drain and refill with fresh single 30 weight motor oil.

Remove the spark plug, clean it and reinstall it. Or replace the plug with a new one.

Attempt to restart the engine. Do not over choke the engine. The idea is to purge out any fuel in the cyclinder. The engine may restart. If so, all should be well.

If the engine fails to start, it may not be getting fuel. Fuel lines, fuel filter, if it has one and or the carb is gummed up.

Check for fuel flow. Remove fuel line from carb and check the flow rate. Flow should be constant and full flowing. If not, check for restrictions within the tank and entire fuel system.

If fuel flow is sufficient, the carb may be gummed up. It will have to be carefully removed, disassembled, cleaned out and reassembled and reinstalled exactly as it currently is.

There is already several questions asked on this topic of engine which do not start or run. Reading them will provide plenty of additional infromation and correctional methods.

Most likely I haven't covered all of the potential possibilities. The other resident small engine service and repair professionals may offer additional suggestions, advice & help.

Check back on your topic several times over the next few days for additional replies.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button. Using the reply button moves the topic back up to the top of the daily topic list automatically.

Regards & Good Luck. Tom_B. Web Site Host & Small Engine Forum Moderator. "Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.
Fast...Fair...Friendly & Highly Proficient Services....

Old 04-04-03, 07:49 PM
plausible
Visiting Guest
Thanks Tom,
I changed the spark plug and added starter fluid and it started and died. After reading some of the other threads, I decided to buy a service manual. I believe it's the carb and plan to do a disassembly and clean up soon in the mean time some carb cleaner spray allows it to work well enough.

Thanks again,
Tim