removing stale gas

Old 03-30-03, 07:27 PM
removing stale gas

hello

i ran out of time last season and stored my craftsman EZ-3 lawnmower without doing any winter prep. I stored it in my basement with treated gas and oil in it. What should I do before I start it this Spring? Should I pull the carb bowl and soak all parts (except rubber gaskets) in carb cleaner? Anything else?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-03, 07:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello robert!

Have you tried to start it? Are there problems? Try running it if you haven't yet. If it runs, change the oil in it and either go cut with it and burn the old gas out, or drain the gas and refill it. Just get the old gas out one way or another before it starts to gum the carb up. If it doesn't run, you may just have to clean the carb up a bit, but soaking it would probably be a little much for one winter's worth of gas varnish.

Old 03-30-03, 08:04 PM
hi cheese,

it has been in storage for since november. i haven't tried to start it. if it starts, should i just run it until the gas burns off or should i drain it?

if the gas was treated and it was in storage for about 5 months, can it gum up to the point of not starting?

thanks

Old 03-31-03, 09:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's possible that it gummed up, but I think after only 5 months, you'll be ok. Especially if it was stored out of the weather. Try it and see, then either use the mower, and burn out the old gas, or drain and change it. You should be ok to run it if it starts.