Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

removing stale gas

IN

03-30-03, 07:27 PM   #1  
removing stale gas

hello

i ran out of time last season and stored my craftsman EZ-3 lawnmower without doing any winter prep. I stored it in my basement with treated gas and oil in it. What should I do before I start it this Spring? Should I pull the carb bowl and soak all parts (except rubber gaskets) in carb cleaner? Anything else?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-30-03, 07:31 PM   #2  
Hello robert!

Have you tried to start it? Are there problems? Try running it if you haven't yet. If it runs, change the oil in it and either go cut with it and burn the old gas out, or drain the gas and refill it. Just get the old gas out one way or another before it starts to gum the carb up. If it doesn't run, you may just have to clean the carb up a bit, but soaking it would probably be a little much for one winter's worth of gas varnish.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

IN

03-30-03, 08:04 PM   #3  
hi cheese,

it has been in storage for since november. i haven't tried to start it. if it starts, should i just run it until the gas burns off or should i drain it?

if the gas was treated and it was in storage for about 5 months, can it gum up to the point of not starting?

thanks

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-31-03, 09:40 AM   #4  
It's possible that it gummed up, but I think after only 5 months, you'll be ok. Especially if it was stored out of the weather. Try it and see, then either use the mower, and burn out the old gas, or drain and change it. You should be ok to run it if it starts.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread