Engine Rebuilding

Old 04-01-03, 02:01 PM
Briggs and Straton 6hp

Point me in the right direction. I have this engine off of a go-cart and the kids have been after me to get it going. I needs to be overhauled and the carb rebuilt. I can do the work. However, I am a loss of where to start......Where do I get parts for this thing? We live in the desert, not to many small engine repair places here. Do I have to send the whole engine off to be bored out, resleeved or what?
Haven't messed with these things since I was a kid and there seemed to be plenty of parts places back home to get everything plus information if you needed it.

Short and simple; What is the best method to overhaul a small engine? Where do I find the model # and information on the engine?

Thanks for you help....

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-03, 05:39 PM
J A Boggan
Visiting Guest
First of all give us the model #, type # and code #. These numbers should be stamped on it's cowling, over the spark plag or on it's side. The first thing I would do, is pull the head off, turn the shaft untill the piston reachs BDC. Then closely examine the cylinder (from top to bottom). Look for bad spots or scores in the cylinder wall. Mic it as well from top to bottom at 90 degrees intervals at top, middle and bottom. This can very well determine if you can do a rebuild or need a short block. Look at your valves and seats as well. Also, is there any radial motion in the bearings. If you give us those numbers someone can give you the specs on the engine.

Old 04-01-03, 11:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Agreed...these engines are barely worth rebuilding usually, as they can be purchased new for little more (even sometimes less) than the cost of rebuilding, depending on what the engine needs. If it just needs re-ringing, then it is worth it.

Old 04-02-03, 08:33 AM
Thanks all

I will get the information you requested as soon as I can. We are presently in the beginning of Softball session here and my wife and I coach a team of 13 - 16 yr old girls, so that takes up quite abit of our free time. Mostly is the recovery from practice, we aren't as young as we used to be!
I know the engine may not be worth the cost to over haul, but I plan on getting my young son involved. Believe the education will out weigh the finicial cost. He is eleven and about time to learn how an engine works, how to take care of tools, how to use the proper tools, etc.....
So thanks to all for the information and you will be hearing back from me.

Old 04-02-03, 11:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ahhh...now it's starting to sound like it will be worth it after all!

Old 04-03-03, 06:44 AM
Frank Knox
Visiting Guest
My 2 cents

This is a really great site (see below). if you go here and enter your model number and code in the upper right you can get the complete parts break down for the engine and print it out for free. You need Adobe to view it if you don't have it go to Shareware.com and search adobe, download the viewer also free. Once you have that you can cross reference the parts with the Part number or SKU in the back. Then enter that number on this same page about 2/3 the way down on the Left and get a price.
I have purchased here occasionaly with great success. I have a shop here in my town that stocks just about everything and usually buy from them and save shipping.

Model number code and serial number should be stamped on the flywheel cover. Where the pull starter is. Should be on that housing.
Great idea on having your son rebuild it with you. Too many parents don't teach there kids the basics anymore.

http://shop.briggsandstratton.com/BS...6-00B0D0203414

Last edited by Frank Knox; 04-03-03 at 07:33 AM.
Old 04-03-03, 08:25 AM
Thanks for all the help. I will be going to the site and checking out parts listings.

There is a method to my madness. If I get him to learn today, tomorrow when the thing breaks down he should be able to fix it!

I bought a Tote Goat when I was a kid and Dad helped me with it the first few times, than I was on my own. I believe I would ride it for three hours and work on it for six. Learned alot and had fun doing it.

Old 04-03-03, 11:32 AM
Frank Knox
Visiting Guest
It started for me with a 4 hp Tecumsah mini bike. Centrifical clutch, belt driven. Learned a lot, had a lot of fun. Had an exhaust pipe that was right under your leg that came out and faced forwards. Not a good shorts bike, lol. I can still feel the tingling in my hands.