Craftsman snowblower parts needed

Old 04-10-03, 05:12 AM
njhotrod
Visiting Guest
Craftsman snowblower parts needed

One last question about my 1979 Craftsman 22" snowblower (model # 536.918200)...

I used it last week. Aside from the carb troubles I mentioned in an earlier thread, it worked fairly well. The snow was wet and heavy and, although it threw it, it didn't send it too far. I pulled the belt cover last night and noticed that there was not much tension on the belts when the auger and drive were engaged. I tried adjusting the idler pullies, but they didn't do much. I figure a belt replacement is in order.

Question #1: Is Sears the best place to get these belts? I'm sure I could buy "universal" belts, but how do I know the correct size if they have stretched?

Question #2: I noticed that one of the three "belt guides" was broken (part # 50902). I would like to fix this when I replace the belts. SEARS.COM says this part is unavailable. Would there be any other source for the guides?

Thanks once again,
Joe

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-03, 08:58 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Your machine is a Murray made machine, try them for parts. 1-800-251-8007. Perhaps there is someone with this part kicking around that can help.

No, Sears just buys the belt from Murray who buys it from Dayco or Gates.

Call up Gates Rubber company with the OEM # of the belt (tell them it's a Western Tool/AMF/Noma/Murray #) and ask them for an interchange to their part. Give them the # of the belt from the parts breakdown at Sears.com

I did that, and the # for my 1965 Craftsman is a #6841 PoweRated belt. Make sure to get the PoweRated ones (they are green). They are specially made for snowblowers and other equipment.

After Gates gets you the #, go to any parts store (automotive) that stocks their product and dollars to donuts they have it sitting in stock. My warehouse did.

Murray (Sears) wanted 12.00 plus shipping. I got the PoweRated for 7.00 on a Saturday in stock.

Good luck and let us know.

Old 04-10-03, 12:14 PM
njhotrod
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the advice!

I cross-referenced the Sears and Gates numbers on the Gates website. I will try my local automotive outlets for the belt.

Now to find the belt guide...

Thanks,
Joe

Old 04-11-03, 07:46 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You could try to bring it to a welding shop and have them just repair the original. Should be good as new then.

Old 08-08-03, 07:58 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I have this same machine now, but it's a 536-909400.

Someone gave it to me, it's a 1979 model 5 hp, 22" cut, Eager one, two stage.

Nice machine, I hope to get it 100% by the time this winter rolls around.