Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Montgomery Wards Tiller

Trying2Help's Avatar

Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 715

04-13-03, 08:54 PM   #1  
Montgomery Wards Tiller

Hey Guys, here is another "stupid" question for you.

I have a front tine rotter tiller made by Monkey Wards, model number GIL 1580E Ser #17X52722, has a 5hp B&S engine.

My question is this, do you have any idea of the types of belts this thing takes?
I tried using automotive type belts, but they seem to slip. Do I need to get a differant kind of belt or go a bit smaller?

Need to get it fixed, the wife wants to turn up the ground in the backyard and I don't what to resort to a shovel!!!!

Sponsored Links
cheese's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator

Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 16,573

04-13-03, 09:35 PM   #2  
Use 4L belts...some manufacturers call them utility belts. They are covered all the way around with woven fabric. Advance Auto parts sells them, I think they are called PrimeLine, and are blue. They are good quality, made by Dayco.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Joe_F's Avatar
Visiting Guest

Posts: n/a

04-14-03, 10:48 AM   #3  
Or Gates, who calls them "PoweRated". They are green and similar to what Cheese describes.

Get the OEM # of the belt in question (look on the old belt) and call or e-mail Gates Rubber Company in Colorado and they will interchange the belt for you.

Go to any auto parts store that deals in Gates and they will order or stock the needed belt. The heavy duty belts should be used on power equipment---the belts take a beating!

Search this Thread