Cub Cadet electrical system problem

Old 04-14-03, 06:48 AM
Achocam
Visiting Guest
Cub Cadet electrical system problem

I've had a Cub Cadet, model 2135 for about 4 years now. The engine is a Kohler. I've had no problems til this point. At the end of the mowing season last year (around Sept/Oct) I noticed that the battery light on dash was glowing faintly.
The next time I went to use it, a week later, the battery was dead. I tried to charge it but it wouldn't take, so I put it away for the winter.
At the start of this season I again tried to charge the battery which didn't take, so I jumped it and it started. I replaced the battery and it starts right up, but the battery light is still glowing. I established that it has a voltage regulator which I had tested and was told it was good. The person I talked to suggested I check the voltage which seems to fall into the range I was told to check, between 13.8 to 14.2. He told me that if the output was bad it could be a broken stator, or if output ok, it might be a switch or something that controls the dash light
Does anyone have any idea how I can check this out?
Any help, and or suggestions appreciated....
Thanks,
Mel

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-03, 02:07 PM
It sounds like it could be a bad connection. Make sure that all connections are tight and clean.

Old 04-14-03, 09:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Where did you check for this voltage? At the battery, or at the regulator? With the engine running full speed, you should have that voltage at the battery posts. If you have it at the regulator, but not the battery, check for bad connections as mentioned. You may have to trace the charge wire from the regulator all the way to the battery. I don't know, but there may be a diode in line that could be blown, or a relay with faulty connections.

Old 04-15-03, 06:23 AM
Achocam
Visiting Guest
Thank You 'Mower17' and 'Cheese',
I checked a couple of connections but I will go back and do a more thorough job.
Cheese..... Yes, I did check the voltage output at the battery posts and only because that's what the guy told me to do.
I was told to switch the bulbs in case the one had a short and it would stay on..... no luck there. Says there might be a short in the wiring.
I will try cleaning and reinserting the connections I see.
Again...... Thank You very much....
Mel

Old 04-16-03, 07:22 AM
Achocam
Visiting Guest
I cleaned all the 'insertion type' connections I could see. No help.... actually the light seemed to glow brighter. I hesitate to tear into the wiring harness at this point to check it out.
I'm now looking for a wiring diagram.
Thanks....... Mel