Briggs v16 Blowin' oil

Old 04-14-03, 07:29 PM
autotechnique
Visiting Guest
Briggs v16 Blowin' oil

I have a B&S Vanguard 16 H. Engine runs great,starts well, hot or cold,and does not burn oil. The trouble I'm having is oil pushing out crank vent and filler tube when I remove dstick while running. I pulled off the heads today and inspected gaskets. Appear to be not leaking.

note;this engine was running on one cylinder for a while due to a blown diode going to one of the coils. Not sure if that can cause problems if ran this way.

Any help appreciated.

C.C.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-03, 09:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello autotechnique!

Welcome to the small engine forum at DIY.

What you are describing is normal. When you remove the dipstick with the engine running (why are you doing this?) you disable the PCV system, which keeps the crankcase pressure under control. The pistons moving back and forth create lots of changes in pressure inside the engine, and when the dipstick is out, the changes in pressure go right through the dipstick tube, blowing oil out with the air. If it is operating normally with the dipstick in place, there is nothing to worry about. The oil should be checked with the engine off.

Old 04-15-03, 03:44 PM
autotechnique
Visiting Guest
Hey Cheese,

That may be true about the dipstick,but there is excessive oil coming out the front of the engine through the crank vent. I'm not sure the name of it,but it is a one way valve with a short hose going to the air cleaner.

Old 04-15-03, 06:51 PM
Oil is coming out of the crank case venterator because either there is too much oil in the engine or the needle valve on the float isn't seating, this would allow gas to leak throught the carburetor into the cylinder and it would eventually leak past the rings and end up in the base of the engine causing a high oil level allowing it to leak out the vent. To fix this, you would have to clean the entire carb. While in the carb shake the float to see if it is flooded. You might even have to get a carb kit. Also, if the oil is thinned out with gas make sure to change the oil before you start it. Good luck.

Old 04-15-03, 08:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That is the most common casue.. (too much oil, or gas thinned oil)

Other reasons could be a bad crankcase breather or ring problems (usually accompanied by smoke). Check your oil. Unless this is an overhead valve engine, the head gaskets won't cause this problem.