Pull start cord making noise after engine started

Old 04-14-03, 10:41 PM
Griffinj
Visiting Guest
Pull start cord making noise after engine started

Background I am a computer nerd and the joys of living in the country are getting to me :-) I took apart my old RotoTiller tonight and managed to get it all back together and working again after cleaning the spark plug and finding the two cylinder heads of the engine (really nifty how that thing works) the seals and other neat places.

Problem: After the engine is all back together and running the starter cord jumps out a little and makes a terrible grating noise.

Details: The engine is a Brigs and Straton and I don't have a brand or any numbers form the engine ... I honestly don't even know where to look. I purchased the Rototiller (It is green and white don't know if that helps) at a church auction for $25 a few years ago, after a winter in the snow, about $15 in parts and a few hours tinkering it runs great. Even tears up the rocks out of what they call dirt in Wyoming.

Problem: When the engine is running there is a really nasty grating noise and sends the little handel on the pull cord out about 3 inches and then back in.

Thoughts?

-- Jeremiah

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-03, 12:45 AM
Hello Griffinj. Good work on the tiller. The numbers for the engine are on the side of the shroud (the cover that covers the top of the engine, usually on the briggs and stratton thay are red, on the older models it is black). The grinding noise you hear does occur when the cord is pulled out while the engine is running. There is a spring coiled up inside the shroud. If it doesn't wind the cord back into its normal position, then it will allow the cord to come out and it will start to engage and make that noise. Make sure nothing is hung up and that the spring is still in position. Good luck.

Old 04-15-03, 10:34 AM
Griffinj
Visiting Guest
oops ...

Thanks for the response and the encouragment!

I didin't find the make or model on the engine but I did take the cover (shroud?) off again and rewind the start cord ... it had about the same 3 inches of cord that I saw jumbled up inside.

But it didn't start this AM...

I think I know why, I wasn't smart enough not to open the oil cover (little round thing) after I got the engine running last night. Now I think I created a minor problem, it looks like I have oil and gas mixed together (it is really watery oil not the thicker 2 cycle that I was expecting just spewing out). I assume that I can just open the oil cover and tip it on its side and drain it out, put new (2 cycle or can I use regular 10/40 oil in it) I remember reading something about this in another post last night but I didn't see a solution to my specific problem (but I did feel a little sheepish at that point for making the mistake.)

I will fire it up again tonight after work and see what kind of damage I can do.

Am I on the right track?

-- Jeremiah

Old 04-15-03, 12:21 PM
STOP!!!!

2 cycle oil is the kind that you mix with gas and run in a 2 cycle engine. You do not have a 2 cycle engine!!!!

There should be a drain plug on the side of the engine to drain the oil out of and than you can use your 10/40 oil. However, I think you are suppose to use 30W oil and not 10/40.

Please do not use 2 cycle oil in the cranck case or you will be learning how to over haul the engine next.

Old 04-15-03, 03:05 PM
buttlint
Visiting Guest
Griffin,

Remove and clean the starter clutch and crankshaft end. That should stop the grinding noise and the rope hanging out.

Old 04-15-03, 04:57 PM
Griffinj
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by Trying2Help
2 cycle oil is the kind that you mix with gas and run in a 2 cycle engine. You do not have a 2 cycle engine!!!!
Good thing I listened to those old guys at Big R ... They had me go back twice to get 2 cycle oil.

There should be a drain plug on the side of the engine to drain the oil out of and than you can use your 10/40 oil. However, I think you are suppose to use 30W oil and not 10/40.
Ok so SAE30W Oil in the side ... good thing I only had 10/40 when I was cranking it yesterday. Any tips for not making a royal mess setting the whole thing on its side?

-- Jeremiah

Old 04-15-03, 05:03 PM
Griffinj
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by buttlint
Remove and clean the starter clutch and crankshaft end.
Ok Way over my head ... I removed the "cowling(?)" and rewound the recoil spring, it looks better but I will try and start it and see if that takes care of the problem. BTW?? what is a starter clutch and should I be worried about it at this point?

Thanks

-- Jeremiah

Old 04-15-03, 08:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Jeremiah!

Remove the cover that houses the pull rope(blower shroud). On top of the engine you will see a square post (starter ratchet) sticking up through the middle of a screen. Use a 1/4" nut driver, socket, or wrench to remove the screws that hold the screen on. Then use a screwdriver to pop the black cover that the square post comes through. Inside you will see 6 ball bearings. Note where they are, and remove them....don't lose 'em. Pull the square post up and off of the engine. There is the end of the crankshaft, under it. Clean it, and put a few drops of oil into the hole in the square post and reassemble the machine. This will stop your loud squealing.

Old 04-16-03, 11:30 AM
Griffinj
Visiting Guest
More Details

It rained like a bog dog lastnight so I didin't get to work on the engine ... maybe tonight.

I did take a look at it this morning trying to find out more details. Still no Engine Information on the Shroud, but I did find some information on the "deck" of the tiller?

American Corporation
Raymond, Mississippi
MAGNA 500452
SERIAL 2239

I will post another update tonight after I get it running again.

-- Jeremiah

Old 04-17-03, 05:47 PM
Griffinj
Visiting Guest
Ahhhhhhhhhhh

Ok so maybe I am not on my way to becoming a small engine repair man

Now I have everything back together and the engine doesn't seem to be getting "spark" Pulled the spark plug and it is fairly black, I used a wire brush but all it does is bring it to a dull black, do I need a new spark plug?

Thanks again, what an experience!

-- Jeremiah

Old 04-18-03, 01:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Look at the thin black wire that comes out the side from under the shroud. Is it pinched between the shroud and the engine? If so, this is the problem. If it was running fine before, cahnces are the plug is ok, but anything's possible, lol.