How to Adjust Belt

Old 04-15-03, 02:32 AM
elvis2
Visiting Guest
How to Adjust Belt

I have a sears craftsman riding mower it's a old one !!! I need to know how to adjust the clutch belt, when I push the clutch down it's real soft and it won't take off unless I pull the cluth pedal back with my foot the belt is only a year old !! Thanks for any help you can give Terry

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-03, 02:38 PM
Is sounds like the springs got a little over streched from time and use.

Old 04-15-03, 08:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Look under the mower at the tensioner bracket that moves back and forth when you press/release the clutch pedal. Spray the pivot point of that bracket with penetrating oil while working it back and forth to free it up. If the spring has broken or is missing, it will need to be replaced. Does the pedal come back up on its' own, but not far enough, or does it just stay down?

Old 04-16-03, 12:07 AM
elvis2
Visiting Guest
adjusting clutch belt

Originally posted by cheese
Look under the mower at the tensioner bracket that moves back and forth when you press/release the clutch pedal. Spray the pivot point of that bracket with penetrating oil while working it back and forth to free it up. If the spring has broken or is missing, it will need to be replaced. Does the pedal come back up on its' own, but not far enough, or does it just stay down?

Cheese,
The pedal comes back up, but not far enough !! besides, the tension bracket is there a adjustment back toward the rear end because I seen something back there too !! Terry

Old 04-16-03, 02:34 PM
Have you looked your tractor up on the Sears parts site? If you would go to www3.sears.com and inter your model number you should be able to get a parts diagram of your tractor. You can look at the ground drive section and check if you have any springs missing.

Old 04-16-03, 08:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Good point Roger!

If the pedal comes back up on it's own, but not all the way, then I believe you will need to lubricate the moving parts of the clutch mechanism. The rod that goes to the back of the mower is probably just the brake rod, and should not be part of the problem.

Old 04-17-03, 12:08 AM
elvis2
Visiting Guest
Thanks for all of your help

Thanks everyone for the help, I really do appreicate it, I'll try all of the suggestions !! Thanks Agains !!!!! Terry