Craftsman 6.5 Lawnmover

Old 04-15-03, 06:48 PM
SCHMITTY
Visiting Guest
Craftsman 6.5 Lawnmover

After a long winter(properly stored) I decided to attach a 'de-thatcher blade' and 'de-thatch' the lawn. My 3 yearold mover abruptly stopped on a thick patch of lawn.....now I can't get it started. Almost everytime I pull the cord, it seems to backfire and/or pull the handle out of my hand. I've replaced the fuel, oil, spark plug, air filter and cleaned the carb. There is good spark and fuel reaching the cylinder. To further my frustratin I even attempted to do a compression test.....but apparently the end of the tester I used was too long and when I pulled the cord......a clunk($$$$$) and now the cord pulls really easy but doesn't turn the engine over.

I pride myself in the ability to fix most things but this one has me stumped!!

thanks
Schmitty

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-03, 06:57 PM
The reason it is ripping the cord out of your hand is because you have a sheared flywheel key. The key only costs $1.00. To replace it you would have to remove the flywheel.

Old 04-15-03, 08:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree... The reason for the engine not starting and kicking back is the flywheel key is sheared. If the pull cord is not turning the engine over, inspect the starter mechanism while you have it off to replace the flywheel key. Two clutch dogs should come out of the center hub of the starter when you pull the rope. If they do not, the best thing to do would probably be to replace the starter mechanism.

Old 04-16-03, 06:45 AM
SCHMITTY
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by cheese
I agree... The reason for the engine not starting and kicking back is the flywheel key is sheared. If the pull cord is not turning the engine over, inspect the starter mechanism while you have it off to replace the flywheel key. Two clutch dogs should come out of the center hub of the starter when you pull the rope. If they do not, the best thing to do would probably be to replace the starter mechanism.