Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman's tiller

Visiting Guest

04-18-03, 07:07 PM   #1  
J A Boggan
Craftsman's tiller

I've got a Craftsman rotor tiller...number 917.299650. According to the date code on the B&S engine it was built in 1987. It is pretty rusted up. I need to pull one of the wheels off. It had a pin in it with a hairpin clip thru the pin. I've got all that off and the wheel won't budge (I've got it soaking in WD 40 overnight). Dose anyone have any suggestions. I've thought of trying a block of wood between the wheel and the frame with a couple of wedges behind the block.Anything would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-18-03, 11:36 PM   #2  
Oh boy...I've run into some of those things that fought me every step of the way. The best thing to do is heat it with a good torch...not the little propane torches, but an acetylene torch. Heat all the way around the shaft hub and pull/twist/etc...

Good luck!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

04-19-03, 05:16 PM   #3  
J A Boggan
Cheese,
The wheels have two 3/8" holes, 180 degrees apart. I got two 3/8" all-thread rods and used a 5/8" steel plate as a puller. It will NOT budge. My question is, can rust hold something that tight? I haven't got an acetelene rig so I'm going to take it over to my friends house Monday and see what happens. I used to work in an electric motor rewinding shop and I've pulled many of things off shafts...but this beats all. It appears that the fit is about 2" - 2-1/2" long.

Visiting Guest

04-20-03, 03:51 AM   #4  
mikejmerritt
Hello J A Boggan, WD-40 is a pretty weak excuse for penetrating oil despite the great name it has. Try some PB Blaster on some things which is the best I know of available at Wal-Mart etc....Mike

Visiting Guest

04-20-03, 07:05 AM   #5  
Joe_F
I'm with Mike, although I've used WD40 for years and it's not bad overall. It cleans well believe it or not.

JA: Have you tried using a Harmonic balancer or steering wheel puller? That might focus the pressure on the axle and help pull it off.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-20-03, 08:43 PM   #6  
I agree...you need some PB Blaster. WD-40 is good for some things, but PB Blaster is about the best thing I have found for rusty stuff. And...Yes...rust can hold it there. Heat well, along with your puller. Get it hot with your puller on it, and then let it cool enough to keep the spray from catching fire and spray it well, let it soak, then heat again. Make sure your puller is putting the pressure on the shaft only, not the shaft AND the hub.

BTW: Does the machine run? If so, wedge or clamp the wheel so that it cannot turn and try engaging the transmission in drive and reverse with the shaft soaked with PB. If you can get the axle to turn inside the hub, it will be on its' way off in no time. Don't burn up your belts if it refuses to turn.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread