Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Starter rope hard to pull

Visiting Guest

04-19-03, 03:59 PM   #1  
kbwalker2002
Starter rope hard to pull

I have a MTD Lawn Mower with a Briggs and Stratton engine that is about 3 years old. The mower has been starting with no problem until yesterday. It started easily and then stopped after I heard what sounded like something wrapping around the blade. When I went to restart it the starter rope was hard to pull yet I had not found anything wrapped around the blade. My oil level was also low. Could I have seized the engine? Wouldn't there be progressive symtoms of low oil or no oil problems such as continual hard pulls for starting or can an engine seize as soon as oil runs dry?

Last edited by kbwalker2002; 04-19-03 at 04:51 PM.

Sponsored Links

04-19-03, 06:50 PM   #2  
Yes, an engine without oil can seize very quickly. Engine damage would be a result.

Visiting Guest

04-20-03, 07:53 AM   #3  
mikejmerritt
Exactly what kind of machine/engine would be a great help in helping you! Assuming we are dealing with a walk behind something to check is the flywheel brake cable and flywheel brakes. Failure of this system most often yields an engine that appears to be siezed or very hard to roll through. This is the cable that is pulled when you hold down on the handle safety bar.....Mike

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-20-03, 08:13 PM   #4  
I agree...with both replies. First of all, if this is a walk behind, make sure the cable that goes to the safety bar/engine kill bar is engaging, not broken, and pulling the blade brake as it should. If so, remove the spark plug, move the plug wire away from the plug hole, and try to pull it. If it is still hard to pull, you may have engine damage. The noise you heard prior to this....was it a progressively louder knocking/rapping?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread