service manual

Old 04-19-03, 09:30 PM
plausible
Visiting Guest
service manual

I bought a B&S service manual with the intent of learning to fix my stuff. Then it happened. The manual showed a screw with a spring behind it to adjust fuel flow into carb. And my mower (a Murray "classic 20" 2.5hp) didn't have one. It also doesn't have a throttle lever. Being a beginner, how do I figure all this out if my mower doesn't have half the stuff the manual shows?
Tim

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-03, 03:42 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Hello plausible, your mower is has a fixed jet, fixed throttle engine. These have used the last few years and may not be covered in all manuals. The only books I know of that will cover all engines for instance by Briggs and Stratton would be a master service manual. Since you say you want to fix your stuff I would suggest a manual for your specific engine. These can be found at most dealers and Ebay is a great place to look also...Mike

Old 04-20-03, 08:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello plausible!

Mike is right, Ebay is a good place to find these manuals. I just bought a briggs master manual on CD in pdf format. I have regular manuals too, but the pages don't get dirty when they're on the screen, lol!

Old 04-21-03, 04:22 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Great minds think alike...LOL....I just "won" a B&S Microfiche and Illustrated Parts List on CD at Ebay and find that it stays in my home PC for helping in this forum and others more than it is used at the shop. This cost ten dollars but has no service info....Mike

Old 04-21-03, 05:59 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
That stuff is invaluable . I have found copies of old small engine books like that here at work. I'm probably the first guy to dust it off in 20 years .

Also, some of the automotive companies use PDF file formats in their parts lists. Chrysler has E-Fiche which is PDF files. Ford's price sheets, the same way (also I have seen Access databases of them too).

Nice find Mike and Cheese . How far back do they go on those publications?

In automotive, it depends on the company. Ford goes back to 1980 on the Microcat I have, GM goes back to 1976 on Passenger Cars, 1973 on Light Trucks, about 1979 or so on Medium Duty, and 1953 on the Corvette . Chrysler goes back to 1982 on the full line of vehicles, but 1981 on Jeep. They took the liberty to skip the Renault models, as well as the Eagle Medallion, but kept the imports. LOL

Funny thing is now Clifford Thames (Microcat) and EDS (GM's Parts Imager) have gotten together and EDS distributes both. Go figure! LOL

Last edited by Joe_F; 04-21-03 at 02:14 PM.
Old 04-21-03, 09:56 AM
Smile Being a beginner, how do I figure all this out if my mower doesn't have half the stuf

Hello. plausible

You learn the BASICS first! Then when you have that under your belt. You can do this.

I picked up a nice string trimmer Yesterday, mixed up the fuel at 100 to 1, & started the break in process.

As many who have been working with small engines, over 10 years have seen. The companies have put on cover guards, so the Home Owner, can not play with the carb settings.

I'm running a little lean as she get's loosened up, so I found the limiter, maxed out rich (Normal). Oh oh what do I do now ? It's not in the book they gave me with the trimmer. I need to adjust the air bleed to richen the mixture.

Well I just removed the cover & limits, made my adjustments & reinstalled the cover just in case I needed to return the Machine. It runs like an ECHO now

I have been an Automotive & Motorcycle & Small engine Mechanic for over 30 years. I still refer to those same Basics that any Mechanic must learn first. DIYer or just making, a living makes no difference to the Basics.

With time and care, I was able to find the tricks the MFRs used to remove & replace their homeowner guards. There's still pleanty to learn, without starting with carb settings that you can do to save money.

However don't let a small problem, grow large by waiting to bring your machine to a PRO, if you can't fix it.

Lube all your moving parts, change your fluids, clean & treat your belts. All those small maintaince things can add up to save you money & you can make sure they are done/done right.

Last edited by marturo; 04-21-03 at 11:38 AM.
Old 04-22-03, 03:24 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Joe, this CD seems to go back into the "70's on some models and early "80's on others. It covers what one would expect to see on a regular basis around a shop.....Mike

Old 04-23-03, 09:10 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Unless of course if you have machines like my "Murray". (1965 Craftsman snowblower).

LOL. That's "new" for me. (j/k).