Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

B&S engine won't start

Visiting Guest

04-21-03, 04:33 PM   #1  
deislfit
B&S engine won't start

I have a 14hp quantum v-twin on my tractor that I just took out of storage. It ran last year but won't run now. I took apart the carb, fuel pump and cleaned them both. I know gas is pumping to carb. It will only start if I almost completely restrict the intake to the carb. When I release the restriction, the engine dies. I've checked engine compression, it's good. I don't know what's next to check. There is an electric 12v needle valve at bottom of the bowl I wonder about but have no idea whether it is working or what effect it has on oeration. Anyone have any ideas please?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-21-03, 08:02 PM   #2  
The needle you describe will cause this problem. It is a fuel shutoff solenoid to keep the engine from backfiring when you turn it off. Remove the valve, connect it to its' wire, and turn on the ignition. Then, touch the metal case of the valve to metal on the mower engine or frame. If the valve clicks and the needle drops 1/4" or so, then it is working. If not, check to be sure you have power to that connector. If so, you may need to clean The area around the needle so that the needle moves up and down freely, or replace it.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

04-23-03, 04:33 PM   #3  
deislfit
Thanks. That was it. I tried what you suggested as a test, it didn't click and drop down. I put the new part in, and it started right up. Very cool.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-23-03, 11:00 PM   #4  
Glad we could help!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread